Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the Feds are sniffing around closing beach access on Assateague. http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Appendix A_CHN_CCPEIS.pdf

To sustain resource and visitor protection, staff for research/wildlife monitoring, and law enforcement patrols
access the wilderness with motor vehicles. Additionally, recreationists with an Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) permit on the
ASIS in Maryland are allowed to drive their vehicle along the beach. This combination of vehicular presence currently
impacts the island’s wilderness character...

Hiking to the state line in the Island Wilderness makes the word “shipwrecked” feels much more real.
It may generate a mixture of accomplishment and humbleness: an oneness with nature. A visitor may contemplate the steady
roll of the waves or sympathize with the American sea rocket that has found a way to grow in the hot sun, sand, and
salt. There is the chance to see more secretive wildlife that avoid the more populous areas in the park and refuge: a
river otter may play on the banks of the Old Fields impoundment; a hunting eagle may soar overhead; a mare may even
be giving birth to her colt.

In this scenario, it is easy to feel at peace with nature, but there are distractions which may intrude on any self-
induced shipwreck: the persistent or abandoned structures may be more startling in this otherwise undeveloped
environment; litter, from far away, may have drifted upon the shore; tire tracks from the last monitoring patrol may mar
the sand; an OSV permit owner may even drive up within a few minutes next to the exhausted hiker. The gas-powered
OSV vehicle user, however, will not have the same experience as a human-powered encounter with nature.

This primitive, unconfined recreation on Assateague Island is the intention for its proposed wilderness
designation.

This is what passes for a proposal? Rather than hard science, this rambling purple prose that sounds like it came out of a junior high creative writing class?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is disturbing.
Anytime "Wilderness" is incorporated into these proposals the hair raises a bit and my ears perk up. The VA side will not fair any better as covered in the document with proposals of cutting access to the hook and potentially implementing a shuttle service out. As detrimental as this is to those of us who partake in the sport, the economic impact to Chincoteague will be even more significant. Taking a family of four to the beach can be a royal pain - adding a shuttle trip into the mix may deter some. I have done the letter writing and will continue to do so but unless there is a critical mass from the constituency whom voting Politicians must answer to then we will find our access continues to shrink. Add to this our adversaries from the environmental and other special interest groups (Audubon and other Ornithological Societies in particular) are a cohesive and united front with significant political clout/influence. All the pretty pictures in that proposal add to the "Creative writing" effect.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maaaan.. freakin me out with this talk.
So, I called the Ranger station and talked to a very nice lady (everyone there has always been a pleasure to deal with) about this, and even pointed her in the direction of this thread.
This was news to her, and she also said that eliminating the OSV pass would be a very big deal which would certainly generate a great deal of outcry. (naturally)
She also said that there would be public scoping meetings about it, if it did ever come to that.

Either way, I'll be paying more attention, as I'm sure we all will, and will be standing at the ready to protect doing one of my favorite things.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I doubt if OSV zones at either end of AI will be completely eliminated, at least not in this next "phase" of changes, though it sounds likely that they will be covering smaller amounts of beach than they currently cover.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I try not to discuss politics. But , the 4 leading candidates right now for president of the United States are Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and Ben Carson. How is one to take anything the government does seriously???

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Wtf!!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I wonder if we couldn't submit a counter proposal, equally vague.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I try not to discuss politics. But , the 4 leading candidates right now for president of the United States are Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and Ben Carson. How is one to take anything the government does seriously???
Not a rep or dem but seriously...... You can't bad mouth Dr. Ben Carson especially if your from MD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.