·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys work the assassins?? bounce along bottom?? the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Just about any way you would normally work a jig I try to vary my retrieves. But slowly across the bottom works or sometimes retrieve like a swiming plug.
Salty and Jake Ace may be the best to answer this question.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
YEP SLOW AND ON THE BOTTOM IVE USED THEM BEFORE SOMETIMES ID THROW IT OUT LET IT JUST SET FOR A FEW THEN TWITCH IN BUT AT LONGER INTERVALS AND DIDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS CATCHING FISH :cool: . NEED TH UMBRELLA :D

W

·
0 Posts
The most frequent error made when jig fishing is retrieving them TOO FAST. The one exception is when fishing for spanish mackerel - then it must be rapid where the old theory is "if we're catching blues, we're going to slow for the spanish.

Otherwise. let jigs hit the bottom and work em' back along the bottom "slowly." Unless of course you're at the Lesner Bridge during the last hour of either tide.....Then we've gotta' just cast em' - and hope for the best in that current.
But a slow retrieve will hook you up with anything that hits a baitfish - including flounder.
My personal largest ever caught was there - at the bridge at night. Weighed in the next morning at the fishing pier at #10lb 8oz.
Ha ! He came off the hook at "the lip" of the waters edge, and I slipped behind it (in waders) and KICKED IT up on the beach. :D
Back to assasins; Also try "Carolina Rigging"them, like for freshwater. In a stiff current I can even use a 2 ounce sliding sinker - for assasins and sassy shad.
And I "beef up" that two feet of leader using 20 pound mono or flourocarbon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Assassins are probably my bread and butter- go to lures; if I'm throwing a lure- it's probably an Assassin. There probably isn't any way I can think of that I don't fish them. Most of the time I fish them on jigheads- feeling across the bottom. I'll also fish them on the surface slow swimming, walking, etc. Depends a lot on what you are trying to catch.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts