Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a flounder tip recently that I’m gonna try if the water ever warms up. It’s rigged up as a standard one hook flounder rig witch is a hook, @12” (or your favorite) length leader to barrel swivel. A BRASS BULLET weight and GLASS bead is threaded to the running line then tied to the other end of the barrel swivel. Kinda like a "Carolina Rig". The idea is the brass weight hits the glass bead and “clicks” each time you lift the rod tip as you retrieve the bait along the bottom. The “clicking” is an added attractor if coupled with teasers and scent.

Sounds good but those brass weights might get expensive. Anyone ever use this rig?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
wait a sec your stealin, and publishing my secret flounder rig! no just kiddin, someone turned me on to that rig a rudee inlet two summers ago, works good. you can add a bucktail teaser to it as well, but usually the more simple the better. I use 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinkers but its the same rig.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
wait a sec your stealin, and publishing my secret flounder rig! no just kiddin, someone turned me on to that rig a rudee inlet two summers ago, works good. you can add a bucktail teaser to it as well, but usually the more simple the better. I use 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinkers but its the same rig.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All i could come up with were the bullets in brass. How about the glass beads, i can't find any. Where are you finding them?I don't have the patients to order them off the web! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got some of the fluke killers out of Surfcaster catalog. Round ball sinker with hook and bucktail attached almost directly to the ball. Bucktail is white and chrome,sure hope they work,I'm sure I'll find out soon. :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
well they will click with plastic beeds too.you can buy them at wally world or go to dollar store and get neclaces that have the bead size/color you want. or check with the old lady to see if theres any old costume jewelry she will give up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I’ve got lots of plastic ones. Good idea about the necklaces! I was thinking maybe the craft stores, can’t find them in the tackle shops.

I found a 4 pack of brass weights and gave them the test. Tried lead and brass against plastic beads then a small piece of glass. The brass and glass combo has a more distinct click. I’m not sure if they will separate enough so you can get the “click” on the retrieve. I’m skeptical, but who knows it might work.

Waters warming……… FISH-ON

·
Registered
9 Posts
hic-lock,
I have found the glass beads here in richmond at green top sporting goods. There aren't many colors to chose from, but they do have them. However, I am thinking about looking at ben franklins or other craft stores for glass beads. The glass beads definately have a diffrent and louder sound than the plastic ones. I would check or ask the wife to check the craft stores for you, I'm also hoping they are a little better priced, because the glass beads do tend to cost more.
Jules
Fish On! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts