Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking through the Wa-Mart amount of various artificial plastic grub colors shapes and sizes that I have in my 3 1/2 tackle boxes, and I was trying to make sense of why I have so many different colors / sizes / shapes, etc.

My final analysis was, despite water color, and matching the hatch, and food source preference, that about 80% of it broke down to "personal preference" and "personal feeling of confidence".

A couple years ago all I used were Twistertail Chartreuse Grubs. Then last year, I got bold and tried those Saltwater Assassins in a couple colors that until Salty showed me up on day at Rudee Inlet, I never would have looked twice at in the store.

And this year, I've basically got a different strong working color for each of the 5 places or so that I frequent, and I've got a back-up color for each spot depending on how clear or murky the water is at those locations.

However, this does not detract from the real fact that I have about 75 bags of unopened plastic lures that I lug around with me everywhere "just in case" that's the color du jour.

That's all. Mainly I couldn't sleep tonight though.

THROW MORE / MANY / SOME / MOST / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe that anglers have a greater color preference than the fish do.

I am familiar with the visibility/color issue, the more prominent the color and display in the store, the more anglers caught!

keep em tight.....Kurt

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey JA- I think people have more of a preference in color than the fish. Your 75 bags could become favorites if fished as hard. Its a confidence thing. Now, lets get on to something more real. Whats your technique for setting the hook with rubber on flounder? Sometimes my hookup ratio is good and sometimes not no matter what I do?

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
JA,

Ol'NC Speck fisherman once told me that in dirty water ya should fish dark colored grubs and as the water clears lighten up with it accordingly. From what I can tell works, and anything beyond that color/style wise is a caught the fishermen or preference issue :cool:

Don't forget to tip that plastic w/bait once in a while ;)

Good fishin'

`bucket

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some days I hook set by just starting to reel. And some days I crank down and pop 'em. I think it just depends on how fast the water is moving.

Oddly enough, when it's rushing, and I'm basically allowing the current to take the lure to the fish, those are the days that I simply tighten the line and start reeling.

Then on those days when it's still, no wind and not moving much, I'll give him a good pop to set the hook.

It's true though, some days, I'll hook up nearly every time, and some days I'll miss 1/2 of them.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
169 Posts
I too believe that most colors are meant to catch fisherman, not so much fish. When you consider that the majority of the fish are colorblind, the actual color really doesn't make all that big a difference. Where the difference is made is how that color appears in the water under different conditions. Probably three different schools of thought,

1) match the hatch or match the same color as natural forage. Usually a pretty good plan of action.

2) roughly match water color and clarity to the lure color. It usually presents a soft sillouette in the water that can trigger a reaction.

3) complete off the wall, bright colors that can present a hard silouette in the water.

Any, or any combination of above, could be the flavor of the day. Guess the best thing to do is play with it and find something that works. I think I carry about 10-15 different colors, some I have significantly more of than others. Most all are Assassins, but I have tried some of the new Strike King 3X in some varieties and am Extremely impressed :eek: Have caught several 3-5+ lb blues on the same bait on those and not had a scratch on them- I don't think hard plastic holds up that well. Now, only if Assassin would formulate a similar plastic, I wouldn't have to carry so many extras.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
304 Posts
Soft plastics that hold up to three Bluefish, gonna have to try some of them. As for colors I'm partial to Opening Night and Smoke.

DEAN

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jake Ace, have you caught many keeper sized flounder yet this season? Seems like there are alot of small ones out there, but not many larger ones yet. Is it still a temperature thing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts