Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey Pete, I have used the gulp clams and have caught striper but I haven't used the eels. It can't hurt to have them in your bag. BTW, welcome to the family.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I myself have never used them but guys I know have. You would rig them the same as riggin a live eel, egg sinker and hook em through the lips.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would have never considered using artificial baits, but with the new technology, it is really worth a try. Some claim that it may actually work better then real bait.

In my case the artificial baits work great (Although I just started using them, and havent caught any fish yet.)

Consider when using clams, they are very difficult to keep on the hook. From what I understand if you salt them it helps to firm them up. But with Artificial, like Fish Bites, it is almost like a cloth that it stays on the hook VERY well. It also saves time from going to the bait store every time, just keep it in your takle box.

I just got another rod, what I really want to try is fishing with one rod with artificial bait, and the other rod real bait. I think you can really get a feel for what works and what doesnt when using 2 rods.

My vote is that it is definitly worth it to have an assortment of them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sluggos are an artificial bait.. mostly designed for bass fisherman.. but there awsome in saltwater aswell.. There a soft plastic bait.. not a rubber worm not a twister tail . kinda like a limp baitfish that twitches well..
You can find em in any tackle store and definately walmart..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big 9" sluggos are usually fished weightless. Search for Sluggos on youtube and you'll find a vid on dual hook rigging. You can also rig them with a squid tin. Port Jude makes them of just google. Smaller sluggos get put on 1/4 -1oz jig heads.

For Gulp eels I use 5/0 Magnum Gamu bass hooks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Dogg, what size Gulp clams do you use? I've only used the 1.5" - 2" Gulp clams, and I've noticed bite marks, and I've had a few pickups but never anyone take it...Maybe I'm rigging them wrong? I usually just put a hook thru them twice...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have always used the artificial clams with real clam in the surf. They tend to hold the real stuff on the hook better. I have never used the artificial eels by gulp but have used the tube lures that look like eels with a egg sinker and top and bottom hooks. just cast out and jig back.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gulp Prnnie Shrimp, or in white or pink have outfished clam and spearing for fluke.
As far as the gulp clam, ive soaked them a few times with litle luck.

Berkley (the maker of gulp) also makes a prerigged eel that has great action in the water, but again, I have yet to hook up.
IMHO - real, fresh, not salted clams work best. Even better if you can pick them up naturally right off the beach after a storm.
Nothing like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts