Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone ever have any luck with artificial clam or eels from the surf for stripers? Just wondering if its worth having in the tackle bag if bait runs out and bait shops are closed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey Pete, I have used the gulp clams and have caught striper but I haven't used the eels. It can't hurt to have them in your bag. BTW, welcome to the family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
artificial bait

Does artificial eel work off the surf? I thought it was more of a jetty bait although I have never used it.
How would you rig it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I myself have never used them but guys I know have. You would rig them the same as riggin a live eel, egg sinker and hook em through the lips.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would have never considered using artificial baits, but with the new technology, it is really worth a try. Some claim that it may actually work better then real bait.

In my case the artificial baits work great (Although I just started using them, and havent caught any fish yet.)

Consider when using clams, they are very difficult to keep on the hook. From what I understand if you salt them it helps to firm them up. But with Artificial, like Fish Bites, it is almost like a cloth that it stays on the hook VERY well. It also saves time from going to the bait store every time, just keep it in your takle box.

I just got another rod, what I really want to try is fishing with one rod with artificial bait, and the other rod real bait. I think you can really get a feel for what works and what doesnt when using 2 rods.

My vote is that it is definitly worth it to have an assortment of them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sluggos are an artificial bait.. mostly designed for bass fisherman.. but there awsome in saltwater aswell.. There a soft plastic bait.. not a rubber worm not a twister tail . kinda like a limp baitfish that twitches well..
You can find em in any tackle store and definately walmart..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big 9" sluggos are usually fished weightless. Search for Sluggos on youtube and you'll find a vid on dual hook rigging. You can also rig them with a squid tin. Port Jude makes them of just google. Smaller sluggos get put on 1/4 -1oz jig heads.

For Gulp eels I use 5/0 Magnum Gamu bass hooks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Dogg, what size Gulp clams do you use? I've only used the 1.5" - 2" Gulp clams, and I've noticed bite marks, and I've had a few pickups but never anyone take it...Maybe I'm rigging them wrong? I usually just put a hook thru them twice...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That's what I use and how I hook em. I have caught a few but the shrimp work better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Berkley Claims - three years + a bunch of bags + all different sizes = no fish caught. Saw crab bites, but that's it.

What are you catching with the shrimp, never used it. Using the whole shrimp or strips?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Penny shrimp, both sizes rigged through the head and body. Great for back bay flattie fishin.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have always used the artificial clams with real clam in the surf. They tend to hold the real stuff on the hook better. I have never used the artificial eels by gulp but have used the tube lures that look like eels with a egg sinker and top and bottom hooks. just cast out and jig back.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gulp Prnnie Shrimp, or in white or pink have outfished clam and spearing for fluke.
As far as the gulp clam, ive soaked them a few times with litle luck.

Berkley (the maker of gulp) also makes a prerigged eel that has great action in the water, but again, I have yet to hook up.
IMHO - real, fresh, not salted clams work best. Even better if you can pick them up naturally right off the beach after a storm.
Nothing like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts