Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Do they mention the depletion of bait fish due to commercial netters harvesting them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This study was done on worldwide data gathered from research trawlers and commerical longlining catches, and mostly covers the larger off-shore species.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Extremely depressing, but not surprising.

Unfortunately, sometimes improving the environment only happens after a disaster has taken place.

According to this report, we are well on our way.

Shame, I've never caught a tuna or a large shark. Hopefully they will still be around in good numbers when I can afford to take an offshore trip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just read the article and I don't believe it for a minute. Sounds to me like the anti-fishing wackos are behind it. if you remember just last year we were hearing stories about how the number of shark attacks was increasing and now they want to tell us that only 10% of large fish are left. I see this as just another ploy by the animal rights groups to start the attack on fishing. Just watch and I bet that soon we will start to hear how we have to ban fishing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
jra3000,

One of the reason why there 'seem' to be large number of attacks last year is because there was a tremendous media coverage. There was a report that says last year shark attacks were below average but more prominent due to media scrutiny.

I think the study that was done about 90% depletion of large fish is true. Increase in technology, lack of regulations and greed for profits is a perfect mix for wiping out tuna, sharks, and etc...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Uh, let's think this one out. Sharks eat large fish. Large fish of the waters are depleted. So, sharks attack humans.

Am I missing something? Seems to support the article's premise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you who don't know, Nature happens to be one of the most prestigeous scientific journals out there. Sure, even they've had unscientific or falsified results slip through the review process (and they took a lot of crap for it!), but in general, I'd take this study very seriously and not write it off as just something done by people with an anti-fishing agenda. It'll be very interesting to see where this leads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree totally about the stories on the large number of shark attacks last year and that in itself helps to make my point the media and so called experts tell the largly unknowing public what they want us to believe and think to further thier agenda which we all know is to ban hunting and in time to ban all fishing as well. The story may be true but I for one will wait and see just what we are told next and if I am right we will start to see stories about how we need to put stricter regs. on fishing and how we just may have to ban the fishing for some fish all together.....

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Personally, I DO think we need tighter regs. The problem is even if the US has tighter regs, China, Japan, and others in the world are going to send fleets out. Some sort of world consortium would be necessary to make some sort of worldwide creel limit/size regulations.
I don't see that ever happening.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with most of what I'm reading. Once worked for a company and met one of thier "spotters". When the fleet sailed south of course he would too. After a day of "spotting" he'd fly up the coast just off the beach. Often he'd recant what he'd seen laying just on the offshore side of the bar, where on the inshore side of the bar swimmers and water ethusiasts were oblivious of what lay just a short swim away.
Our only hopes are, one a worldwide effort to change current policy is under taken, two people begin an immediate ban on eatting fish or three every living creature in sea develop a toxin that makes them uneatable. Beacause as long as we spend the money, there will always be those that supply
the fish. Untill it becomes unprofitable to do so.
It's OK to throw some back,tw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts