Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard of a couple of catches of rays in the bay. Is it time to tackle these 50 lb+ bruisers already?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let the fun begin! Last year I caught one at SPSP that went 70 lbs. :eek: It made my line look like sandpaper. The fish swam South and ended up knocking down the three rods of the fisherman fishing next to me. In the end, it took two of us almost 10 minutes to turn her over so I could get the hook out before I released her. 20 lb test didn't mean squat!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Sandcrab I hooked up with one two weekends ago at the tank on a 11ft previously broken in half(used to be 12ft before fixinig it)pole at the tank. Didn't weigh it but had to be over 25lbs. Took me over 10 mins to reel it in. Damn thing kept going under the bridge leaving me to fear it would break the pole again. It was fun getting it in a pier net and onto the bridge. All in all good fight and fun to catch. But left me with sore lower back. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
The rays sound like fun.....

What is the best bait/time of day/location to catch one?

I would like to hook a big one just to see what it feels like!

:D

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Skeeter...Join the group at the Tank on Saturday, June 21st and you can almost be guaranteed a ray. Just put on a piece of crab and hold on. :D

Catman. :)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
110 lbs :eek: Man I'm surprised with a skinny guy like you it didn't drag you across the bay ;) Shoot I am down for catching anything that is 110 lbs.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like pulling a log in..they will tear you up! I ended up cutting off the last 30' of line after I beached mine as it was totally frayed. Looked like someone took sandpaper and ran it up and down my line. :eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Whaddya do with the things once you do get 'em beached? Is there a sting in the tail? Do you just flip them over, pull the hook and scoot them back, cut the line, etc?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts