Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over a month and I will be goin down to Oak Island to see if the fishies have awakened from their winter slumber!! Anyone else gettin that old fever back??
Anyway, thanks to a member of this board or two, I plan to have about 4 days of nothin but fishing from Ocean Crest Pier, with some new equipment. I know that traditionally, the blues are hungry around the middle of April along with some of the smaller stuff (whiting maybe spot), but what temp has the flounder moving? I know it will be too early for Cobia and Kings, but what about Spanish or trout? I just wanna know what I need to take for set-ups instead of lugging all the gear down for 3-4 days, and I don't recall ever going in April before.

May is when the real fun takes place--on Portsmouth Island! :fishing:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You may catch a stray flounder but they are probably still deep, 4 mile rock is a great place this time of year. Spanish usually run the same times as kings, as best I remember. Trout will probably be going pretty good, and look for some big whiting, In my experience, teh whiting in the spring tend to be less plentiful than the fall, but much larger. At least the last couple of years its been that way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
April and May are great times at OCP with the blues starting around the second week of April last year and the kings coming in around the third week. The flounder should be coming in around the end of March if the weather doesnt turn unusually cold. I will definately be on the tee during the blue run and to possibly pick up one of the first kings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yaupon Pier

Is Yaupon Pier gonna reopen? I will be down there in April and wanna try both Ocean Crest and Yaupon. But can't find anywhere that says the pier has reopened, or is going to.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.