Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was persistent on getting me to schedule one of our trips to Frisco in April next year. Normally we do late May early June and August fishing ramps 43, 44, 48 & 49 just not the point but slow fishing over the years and lack of night OSV made up her mind to try the last week of April. We are staying at a house in Frisco on the canal and will be bringing the slide-in camper. My question is what are the normal temperatures night and day that time of year so we can make sure we are prepared gear wise and how is the drum & shark fishing. Also is there any "must be actively fishing" rule overnight on the OSV?

·
Registered
419 Posts
We hit the big blow this year first week in May. It truly SUCKED. Fishing pretty much stopped dead in its tracks.Few weeks before around time you are choosing was good from what I have been told. You know how it can be but I'm thinking a light jacket and I know first week in May I was able to walk out into the sounds although it was cool. Same with surf. Just pray for the weather to work with you. If I see another storm brewing like this past spring I am NOT going. I wasted 5-6 days on that crap holed up in a camper. Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Normal temps are 45 degrees to 70 degrees. When the sun goes down it gets cold on the beach, regardless if it was 80 degrees or 45 degrees. Get wet and you get cold earlier.

Buy a 4x4 before you come, that way if the weather is bad, you can go for an oceanside trip with heat and hot coffee in the cupholders.

If the weather looks to be bad, move down and sooner or later you get in on the big bite.
Bad weather is part of life, you need to be flexible. A calm breezy day inland is usually a damp uncomfortable day on the sand, especially if it blowing hard enough to kick the sand in your face.

Like Retired said no sense driving head on into a North Easter.
Kind of hard to do the reservation thing months in advance.

Fishing in April is not as predictable as in May, as there generally is a lot of colder water around. It can be epic or better spent just exploring barren cold stretches of the OBX.

Get 2 weeks of strong SW winds you will be bowed up.

Get 2 weeks of strong NE winds you should be prepared for the worse.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I plan to bring the slide in so we can get out of the weather if need be or some hot drinks/ food or just to change into some dry clothes. It sucks having to reserve so early but the homes go quick unless you have bottomless pockets.
We do have Hodgman neoprene waders, stocking foot that I think I might cut the feet out of and wear my neoprene boots cause the stocking foot is too bulky.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Truck

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
If you cut the feet of your waders off you are guaranteed to freeze and have bad weather. A set of $60 Chinese Walmart Hodgman Waders will do just fine. You may not look like you are sporting Simms but every wader brand leaks eventually.

Looks like you have everything you need for a month's long trip. Just leave the better half at home and get into the DrumPro lifestyle. Most lady like folks cannot handle the grime and or bathing in the ocean.

Roll like Tom Brady.............solo roll that is....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She pushes me to fish more and the reason we bought the camper, especially on the days I feel like just rolling over in bed she is already got 2 lines in the water. We fish every weekend from May to October and so far only missed last week due to the weather. The only downside is the cold, she'll be bundled up like an Eskamo in April.

I figure we would slip on the waders first and see if the footies fit in the boots first but I think they will not work. We do have a few months before the trip if you have a better recommendation for waders (SIMM's are out of the question).

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

$69 can not beat the price and from China no less.

I bought a pair when I only had a couple weeks for fishing the OBX and I knew I was leaving the beach. They are not breathable but they are light and they have yet to leak on me. I have had very expensive waders leak on me. The boots are a little on the flimsy side but I put insoles in and they work. I also have two pairs of neopreme waders that I sealed leaks on as backup.

It will be a while before I buy Simms or Orvis or some other brand of breathable. I am old enough to have owned rubber waders and when the neopreme came along they were the most popular. So you sweat a little, sweating gets rid of impurities in your body and mind. Sweating is weakness leaving you......... Plus I have two pairs to wear out before I go back and buy more. Also Sharks tend to bite breathable waders more because the Shark is able to smell the Fear coming out of the porous fabric......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, the link still worked. I like the neoprene so maybe the one's we have will be OK (not afraid of sweating) . I'm not sure the built-in boots are for me but at that price I might pick up a pair to try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts