Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid the MD crowds (MD opening day for stripers), Sandcrab and I will be fishing all day in Delaware. We plan to surf fish starting around 6 or so in the morning and then we will cast lures at IRI on the outgoing tide that afternoon.

Anyone who wants to come see sandcrabs new rod and reel or just wants to see husky get outfished, feel free to join us there. We could even arrange a lunch together.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Jangwuah,

In the morning we will be fishing the Delaware surf at 3R's.

For surf fishing, I would take as a minimum:

Surf rod and reel - 17-20 lb test with an appropriate shock leader (10 times the casting weight). Most people use a 50 lb shocker for weights up to 4/5 ounces. Any heavier than 5 ounces, I would use an 80 lb test shock leader

Rod tube - I can supply if you don't have.

Tackle box - sinkers, hooks, rigs, etc.

Chair or 5 gal pail to sit on.

Bait - Bloodworms, clam snouts, squid, cut bait, "Purdue Peelers", etc. Bring just enough to support the number of fishing rods you plan on using.

Small cooler to hold bait.

Sun glasses.

Rain gear.

We plan on throwing lures in the inlet in the afternoon for stripers. Bring a setup capable of casting lures in the 1/2-2 oz range if you have one.

Any other questions, you can send me a PM.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sand crab,
too bad I don't have a van. We could all go together.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Thanks Sandcrab for the info.

I'll bring my 7' and 11'. Never used a shock leader before, maybe this is a good chance to learn how to use it. Never caught anything that was so big that it required a shock leader.

Where do you buy bait? Are there stores around there?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, just a corporate jet. Are than any airfields near IRI. I could fly us there. :p

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shockleader is to keep the line from snapping off due to the weight of the sinker and the sheer force of the powerful jangwuah cast.
Also, it helps against abrasion and helps in landing bigger fish. I was using one at Metapeake.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You can count me and FL Fisherman in. We will both be getting back into town on the 18th. What time in the morning you planning on and where do ya want to meet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't like the surf action in that area too much, but the inlet is great. Should be lots of toggies in around that time. Have to check the date for the turkey openner. Is long as it does not interferre I am there. I am ready to tear up the toggies. I have been seeing green crabs in my sleep. A striper would not be too bad either.

I am thinking about trying this Sunday.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

April 19th is my only daughter's birthday, but hell, she'll be nineteen and I'm sure by now she knows the kind of hold fishing has on me. I won't be in the surf, but I'll be glad to fish the inlet and see how many blackfish I can wrestle out of the rocks. Like Jamey said, a striper would be nice, too! Somebody email me directions to the jetty (hopefully Ocean Pro bait shop will be open.) With any luck, this could turn into an annual P&S fish-in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read the board everyday but don't post much. Is the 19th by invite only?? I could really use some advice out there on baits/currents/tides and if noone minds providing some count me in! BTW we're heading to Henlopen to fish the surf Sunday the 6th. Is anyone going?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
If the tog are biting with any consistency I'll probably fish IRI Saturday, 4/19, since I probably won't have the boat in the water for opening day rock fishing on the Chesapeake. We might set a record for the number of P&S guys fishing the same area on the same day. Might be photo op here!

Catman.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey Husky, looks like you've stirred quite an interest for Saturday, 11/19. I'm looking forward to it. Way to go man. :)

Catman. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts