Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First visit to Apache. Drove down from Greensboro, arrived around 11AM, pier was not crowded at all. It was near low tide so I found a spot near the back of the breakers. Started out with fresh blood worms while my shrimp thawed, throwing double-drops. Winds were up and the surf was a little rough so I was throwing 4 oz. to start off. Caught 2 small whiting, 1 small spot pretty quickly. Next up was a thick Spot that jumped off right before I cranked him up. Got slow for about an hour after that and it really started picking up around 1PM. Shut it down around 6PM with 5 thick slab Spots, some of the biggest I have seen, 5 normal-sized Spots, gave away a keeper Whiting, threw back a mixed bag of 6-7 undersized Black Drum, 4-5 small Whiting, and 4-5 small Spots.

Also had a mystery fish that took no less than 3 rigs under the pier at the same time. I suspected a Ray, so I broke mine off at the swivel pretty quick. The other guy that got snagged followed the fish down the pier a ways and lost him when both of his hooks snapped. He later got tangled up in the other rig he lost in the fight and got his rig back. :D

Everyone I met on the pier was super friendly. Will definitely be coming back!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice catch.
Just a heads up.
A fish cleaner I got to know in OC md told me
to always freeze fish in a single layer.
They freeze and thaw faster that way.
Made sense to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice catch.
Just a heads up.
A fish cleaner I got to know in OC md told me
to always freeze fish in a single layer.
They freeze and thaw faster that way.
Made sense to me.
I've heard that too, but I left the brand new box of freezer bags I bought for the trip in Greensboro but I had 2 stashed in my gear storage bin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only keep the larger ones. I'll de-head, gut, and filet them with my PanHandler and then skin them. That thing works amazingly well on panfish. Some people just scale, de-head, and gut them and bread & fry them on the bone. There's nothing left of my fish but bones when I'm done with them anyway.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to remember to post an update when I clean them, probably next week. The wife is having foot surgery tomorrow, so I'll be at home all week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts