Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been ages since I posted, but wanted to know if anyone has used the Daiwa Coastal Salt Pro surf rods? I'm looking to get a new rod for when we go to the beaches on vacation, the old rod has about had it.

Only fish from the surf a couple times a year, so don't need a top of the line rod, but want something decent. I guess $200 and under. Kind of like their 11ft medium heavy. Any input on them?

One thing I found curious was the bottom guide on the spinning rid looks quite small. How does that work with spinning reels? Most I used in the past had a much larger first guide to handle the line loop as it comes off of the reel.

Thanks for any input (or suggestions to other rods).

joe

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you use braid the small guide works fine. I haven't used one but like the feel of them over the st croix mojo that they're modelled after.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had 2 BRAND NEW rods break. One from tossing a 58g plug. Daiwa is aware of this but my friend who no longer works there told me they're aware of a possible design flaw but since the returns isn't "alarming" that they'd keep it on the market. Not many will keep the original receipt so that works in their favor. I've now amassed quite a few pics of these rod breaks as i did a video on it. I've enough to do a second video just showing pics of broken rods.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I ended up not going with the Coastal Salt Pro - and funnily enough, part of the reason why was I saw the video you had made shortly after posting this a month back, Scuba Chris. Couldn't find a ton of reviews, but did read several that mentioned breaking (and it seems like it was the 10' or greater that had that problem... but I'll admit it was also a small sample size of reviews, so not sure if that's a valid observation).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts