Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FL FISHERMAN, Trigger, anyone else feel like catching some horse croakers this Saturday at the Tank? We'll also be able to keep any rock caught so there's the possibility of live lining some spot and/or perch. It's susposed to rain but the fish are already wet. I'm going either way.

Tides for Saturday:
Low - 3:55 AM
High - 9:58 AM
Low - 5:03 PM
High - 10:52 PM

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wish I could go but have to build some raised beds in the veggie garden and then plant my tomatoes,peppers,beans,Cucumber the hot peppers have been planted already. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forgive the crazy question but which one is the better to fish, a high or low tide? Also,I take it that the high tide means more water coming in toward the shoreline?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
high tide fishing is the best fish can come closer to the banks to feed caught some biggns like this :D when the waters in high tide then you get slack tide then tide goes out then slack then comes back in i think 6 or 7 hours time limit ;)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Catman,

Just don't keep any stripers on Saturday as you may be fined. :( You can keep stripers at Choptank but not until June 1st (Sunday morning) at 5 AM as Choptank is listed as a tributary. ;)

MD DNR Regs listed below:

May 16 - 31, 2003: No Eels. Restricted to the mainstem Chesapeake Bay from Brewerton Channel to the Maryland/ Virginia Line, Tangier & Pocomoke Sounds (no Tributaries). Charter boat captain and mate = 1/boat/day

June 1 - Dec. 15, 2003: Maryland's Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Charter boat captain and mate = 1/boat/day

Good fishing! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am planning to go to the Tank on Saturday afternoon and fishing until well past midnight, rain or shine. If you see a guy heading out the Cambridge-side pier with a huge cart full of rods, coolers, tackle, etc, and he is accompanied by one or two very attractive young ladies, say hi to the Brackish Boy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks oldsalt, checking tide times for early sunday morning. would like to make saturday but i'll be busy, so sunday it is for me.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SandCrab...I knew you'd catch that 24 hr. mistake. So, as of 5:00AM Sunday morning we can keep them in the tribs.

BrackishBoy...The main thing is to fish moving water, especially the outgoing if you're fishing from a pier. As for bait, bloods and squid are all that you need. A standard high/low rig with 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks work well. Just remember when using circles the fish will hook itself. Use just enough weight to lold bottom. 3 oz. was working fine for me. You just need to keep constant pressure on the fish. Keep an eye on your rods because a 17" croaker can hit hard enough to sling your rod right over the rail. Both FL FISHERMAN and myself almost lost rods. The reel catching on the top rail saved mine.

Catman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know most of you guys fish on the Cambridge side. I do pretty good on the other side. You can't go to far, but you can't be lazy either. I see lots of fish being caught between pole 40 and 29. These are pretty good areas to try. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Catman: thanks for the advice. I must admit that I find the tides advice confusing. Aren't the tides always moving? Many people say its best to fish at high tide, others say when its going out . . . Is anyone aware of an article that explains all this tides stuff in some detail?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I try to fish the last two hours of the incoming, the high, the outgoing and the ebb if the bite stays on. The water needs to be moving. When is the best time to fish you ask? Whenever you can, regardless...Tightlines

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BrackishBoy....You said that tides can be very confusing, well welcome to saltwater fishing. I'm still learning. Saltwater moves two ways - vertical which we call tides and horizontal which we call current. In order to catch saltwater fish you must have horizontal movement (current). Check this out.
web page

Catman.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Triggerfish, The Tank is considered a tributary, so maybe this will help.

May 16, 2003 - Dec. 15, 2003
2 @ 18"- 28" OR
1 @ 18" - 28" and 1 larger than 28"/person/day.
May not possess striped bass while fishing between 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m.

May 16 - 31, 2003: No Eels. Restricted to the mainstem Chesapeake Bay from Brewerton Channel to the Maryland/ Virginia Line, Tangier & Pocomoke Sounds (no Tributaries).
Charter boat captain and mate = 1/boat/day

June 1 - Dec. 15, 2003: Maryland's Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. Charter boat captain and mate = 1/boat/day

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trigger...As of Sunday, June 1 we are allowed to keep 2 rock, 1 @ 18" to 28" and 1 larger than 28". The only restriction is we can't keep any caught between mid night and 5:00AM.

Catman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts