Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had cookouts and fishing at Sandy Point, many a time with people from MD, DE and VA on AI. I might need at least one more outing to the Choptank. Hell, I 61, can't cast like I used to, but be fun to get together.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've been on here for a good while and grew up in MD. I lived in Arnold, so not far from Sandy Point. I recall some of the postings about get togethers there, particularly in the cooler months after most of the crowds were no longer going there. My job schedule at the time kept me from attending, as I worked at night, but I do seem to recall your screen name.

I relocated to SC back in 2015 and retired, so no longer fish in MD. Still have family there, so do sometimes get back up that way. My daughter just bought a house over in Queenstown, which I haven't seen yet.

I live within sight of Lake Marion now so that's where I do most fishing. I also own a tackle business here.

None of these forums are anything like they used to be. I also regularly visited Tidalfish, but haven't been on there in years. Got to be too much BS!

Frankly, I don't miss a whole lot about MD.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Shaggy

Still here but moved to DE. I fish IRI, DE surf, DE and MD lakes/ponds, and AI MD all the time now. The only MD fishing I do is at some Eastern shore lakes, AI and of course, Western MD/WV border for its killer trout fishing.

Sandcrab

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
.Frankly, I don't miss a whole lot about MD.
Trout fishing in Western MD is one thing I wish I could do more of. Now it's a 5 hour trip for me - one way from Dover...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Trout fishing in Western MD is one thing I wish I could do more of. Now it's a 5 hour trip for me - one way from Dover...
I used a run a tractor trailer delivery route to the stores in DE & Eastern Shore of MD for Domino's Pizza. I worked for them for 17 years and most of that time was over there so spent a lot of time in Dover. There was a store in Milford, right on the river, and I would sometimes take a fishing rod with me. There was a pond behind the Camden store. I ventured out to fish Antietam Creek and Big & Little Hunting Creek when I was younger, but never went too far west after that. I made occasional trips to fish the Potomac near Shepardstown, WVA for SM bass, and also used to get up to Deer Creek or the Gunpowder sometimes for trout. My oldest son & his wife, and our grandkids lived in Monkton for a few years so I could go when visiting, but they moved out to CA when he took a job out there. There's no trout or Smallmouth Bass close to me now, and I do miss that some, but both are here, just a few hours drive away. Charleston is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from us too, depending on where, but I haven't been to the coast to fish in several years. I should do that more. It had been a lot of years that I had been down to OC or anywhere on the MD/DE coast, although I did go visit a fly fishing friend in Wachapreague, VA once before I left from up there. He had called and told me that Redfish were everywhere, and I went & caught my first one on a fly, sight casting to them on a grass flat. I had only been trying to accomplish that for about 40 years.
:LOL:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Miss fishing Deer creek for the shad run in the Spring. I make 2-3 trips to Garrett County (Deep Creek area) in the Spring and Fall. Best day on the North Branch of the Potomac was 5 trout all over 20", one went 25".
20191117_105844.jpg

NB of the Potomac at Barnum, WV. This section is know as the "Blue Hole".

20190916_085843.jpg

Now I fish IRI more than ever!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been here since about 2004, though I changed usernames recently.
None of these forums are anything like they used to be.
You got that right!

Sadly there's no good replacements for the old forums as they wither away. Social media and Reddit seem to be mostly newcomers trying to learn to tie a Palomar or showing off a 2 lb 'new pb lmb', or guides selling trips. No sense of community, or sharing of specific techniques.

It's like that in other forums too. Automotive forums have helped me immeasurably over the years by providing great troubleshooting tips, and write-ups with detailed instructions and photos for various procedures. Sadly these seemed to peak around 2010, and most of those write ups are full of dead image URLs now. Watching someone do it on YouTube is fine, but the forums were way better when you are troubleshooting. Again, good luck getting that quality of content on Reddit.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Slosh, I still buy books, as I can read them if the internet is down, or even if the power goes out and have had that happen plenty since I moved here to SC.

I have a bunch of fly pattern books now, mostly older books, and can sit & tie flies or tie jigs and use the book as reference, and I can't get my head around doing that with a video. I dislike having to search thru a video! Books are so much easier!

I'll watch Youtube video's sometimes but can't stand the music most play and many folks have no idea about how to speak publicly and most are not good at it. They don't seem to understand the "edit" feature either! There's some good information in them, if you ignore most of the crap, but seems today anyone with a means of making a video is doing so, and believe they're the second coming with regard to fishing, and many other things! I may be just getting to old! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I've been on here for a good while and grew up in MD. I lived in Arnold, so not far from Sandy Point. I recall some of the postings about get togethers there, particularly in the cooler months after most of the crowds were no longer going there. My job schedule at the time kept me from attending, as I worked at night, but I do seem to recall your screen name.

I relocated to SC back in 2015 and retired, so no longer fish in MD. Still have family there, so do sometimes get back up that way. My daughter just bought a house over in Queenstown, which I haven't seen yet.

I live within sight of Lake Marion now so that's where I do most fishing. I also own a tackle business here.

None of these forums are anything like they used to be. I also regularly visited Tidalfish, but haven't been on there in years. Got to be too much BS!

Frankly, I don't miss a whole lot about MD.
Hey big Jim, Your Daughter made a good move to Queenstown. And you living right near Lake Marion. WOW! I lived real close to Queenstown and fished in Queenstown Creek a lot. I also fished Lake Marion a lot with this guy. Nice talking with you.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey Andy, it's good hearing from you again! We've been real happy with our move here! The houses across the street from me are on the lake, so we have a nice view. All of my neighbors are great too, which makes it very pleasant living here.

This is a photo I took several weeks ago from my one neighbors pier. He's also our insurance agent, he owns the agency, and I fish from his pier sometimes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Miss fishing Deer creek for the shad run in the Spring. I make 2-3 trips to Garrett County (Deep Creek area) in the Spring and Fall. Best day on the North Branch of the Potomac was 5 trout all over 20", one went 25". View attachment 67420
NB of the Potomac at Barnum, WV. This section is know as the "Blue Hole".

View attachment 67421
Now I fish IRI more than ever!
The IRI is my home base now.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Shaggy,
How are you? I was just thinking about a choptank trip or togging in OC, stopped by here and saw your post. I'm rarely here. Rarely get out surf fishing.
Trevor
Had cookouts and fishing at Sandy Point, many a time with people from MD, DE and VA on AI. I might need at least one more outing to the Choptank. Hell, I 61, can't cast like I used to, but be fun to get together.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Had my left knee replacement surgery this past Monday, 3 months after my right knee was done. Looking forward to next spring, hopefully I will be fully recovered by then. So much swelling and bruising. And pain.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Had my left knee replacement surgery this past Monday, 3 months after my right knee was done. Looking forward to next spring, hopefully I will be fully recovered by then. So much swelling and bruising. And pain.
Take care of yourself. Let the healing process run it's course. Spring will be here before you know it. Plenty of prep time between now and then.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Take care of yourself. Let the healing process run it's course. Spring will be here before you know it. Plenty of prep time between now and then.
Thanks TA.

Hope all is well with you. Slowly getting better. Walking with a cane now, was using a walker.

If this rain ever stops, like to get outside and do a little fall clean up. This rain and wind knocked down most of the leaves. I should be able to sit on my riding mower for a little bit of time.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Orest

Get well soon. The fish are missing you!

Sandcrab

1 - 20 of 29 Posts