Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on folks, someone on the MD/DEL board must be alive. Where is everyone? Plenty of action on the Virginia boards and over on the TidalFish forum. I know that there is usually 5 or 6 of us active at all times but this is strange. And to think there was talk about splitting the Maryland and Delaware boards...don't think so. Maybe when the snow is a memory things will liven up a little. :D

Catman. :p :p :confused:

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I live on the Severn River and find that white perch are usually the first fish to come out in the Spring. I cast shad darts next to the pilings to catch them. Also, a greeen beetle spin works too.

Severn river has been frozen most of month. Maybe when it thaws, I will give the pilings a shot and see if the perch are in.

Also, Tridelphia boat permits go on sale the last Saturday of the month. The reservoir opens in March. Crappies should be in...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey sandcrab, Tridelphia is almost in my back yard. I usually fish for walleye or northern pike in the upper end,where the creek comes into the lake. Fish with lg. minnows or pike lures but you want to fish as early as you can in the season and morning. The pike feed early morning close to shore to attack their pray,you have to sneek up on them,they spook just like trout. Now walleye are caught around the rocks with worm or med. minnows or if you're into lures try a sassy shad and a 1/4 oz. weight and bounce it off the bottom. :D :D

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Trigger...

Thanks for the info. Never did any real musky fishing there but I do fish for pike when I go to our place in the Poconos. Poconos pike seem to like my Slug-O's and my large Saltwater BA's. Had good luck on the Mirrorlure Top Pups too.

Maybe I'll stop by your house on my way up to Tridelphia one morning and pick you up for some fishing. I have a 14 johnboat and a kick-butt saltwater trolling motor... ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Yo Catman! I've got the pics of those Pintail Point cats posted... see my post "New Scanner Up and Running..." on the Open Forum.

Yo Sandcrab! The white perch should be staging right now for the spawning run... maybe in a couple of weeks(?)

Yo Triggerfish! I never did care for walleye; only caught one in my life (5.5 lbs) and it fought like a stick. Actually thought I had a snapping turtle... Crappie fight just like their name, but if you find a school of nice ones they can be fun on an ultralight. Try tipping your crappie jig with a meal worm, and reel in s-l-o-w-l-y. A tiny bobber helps keep the jig at the proper depth, and adds casting weight. On the other hand, pike are more interesting. I've hooked two but never landed one. The Brits do well with big dead shiners (mimics winter-killed fish) early in Spring. Can you catch the pike from the bank, or is it strictly a boating thing?

Finally, tiger muskies will be active as soon as the ice melts. They're sterile, but they still get the "urge" to move to spawning areas. Big live shiners under a big bobber can grab their interest. The tigers are actually easier to catch than either pike or true muskies.

Now if the damn ice will melt....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
sandcrab- I don't do small boats and for being a Big dude the only boats I do are 20'or better.I like to shore fish it keeps my weight off.Now if you like trout(freashwater) fishing,I'll take you up on that,theres a couple of guys I go with evey so often we make a trip to southern Va. around Sept. for about three days,the smallest trout that anyone has caught lately has been 20" the biggest has been 27" or so,the biggest brook trout I'v caught was 16 1/4". We've made plans for this year to go again but we are short one person,so any takers out there. :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.