Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would go to an authorized Penn repair shop and find out how much it would cost to fix it. They probably have the part if you want to try it yourself. I don't know how much a Pursuit runs but if the cost is a lot then I would just put the money into a better reel.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If it has the flippy switch it's a little harder to fix but if it's full time then it's just a bearing that gets replaced. Either way is fairly easy to do on your own or I'm sure Wayne can fix it quick PM me for his number if you want him to do it

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does this use a clutch/roller bearing or a dog/pawl? I have a couple of cheap spinning reels that these dog springs failed. Just too little tension to reliably stop it after the dog gets the slightest bit corroded. I doubled up the springs and that helped.
The Penn website shows the older Pursuit and the new Pursuit II both using a roller bearing for anti reverse. I have priced these on Boca Bearings and they are not that cheap.
A Penn shop as Phil says would have the parts, probably not as expensive as what I priced. The dog/pawl system should be cheaper than a roller bearing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Scott's bait and tackle . I've order lots of parts no issue..good turn around.. great place for discontinued parts... btw mega pawn on militarily highway had two new penn persuits 2's the new version. I think he was asking 30 each but willing to go down surfmom...was in there this past week. Think one was 4k and other was 5k..both new.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott's bait and tackle . I've order lots of parts no issue..good turn around.. great place for discontinued parts... btw mega pawn on militarily highway had two new penn persuits 2's the new version. I think he was asking 30 each but willing to go down surfmom...was in there this past week. Think one was 4k and other was 5k..both new.
I just got a Penn Fierce rod reel combo but thanks!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The Pursuit is a Disposable reel, they are around 39 dollars and not worth putting the Time or the money into... JAM

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The Pursuit is a Disposable reel, they are around 39 dollars and not worth putting the Time or the money into... JAM
Exactly, Next time get the 2fer $19 Daiwa's....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree piece of crap.had to repair a friends today and it hasn't even seen the water yet, still brand new and defective out the box

·
Registered
696 Posts
Give me a schematic and I'm good to go, or I'll use my phone to take pics as I take apart the reel if no schematic exists. Replaced many a little pawl springs with the spring from one of those disposable ink pens with the clicker. Even a cheaper real can be worth taking apart to see if you can fix it without even ordering a part. Not worth taking them into any shop though to fix them. I'd only do that if I needed to send the reel back under warranty. Even if your fix is kind of a jerry-rig at least it'll be a spare reel or a loaner to have around.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Give me a schematic and I'm good to go, or I'll use my phone to take pics as I take apart the reel if no schematic exists. Replaced many a little pawl springs with the spring from one of those disposable ink pens with the clicker. Even a cheaper real can be worth taking apart to see if you can fix it without even ordering a part. Not worth taking them into any shop though to fix them. I'd only do that if I needed to send the reel back under warranty. Even if your fix is kind of a jerry-rig at least it'll be a spare reel or a loaner to have around.
thanks your right if we can fix it cheap it is nice to have a spare reel. Other then that the cast and retrieve on it is very smooth. I loved it until it broke. except it looks like a lot of work.. heres the schematic, have no idea where the pawl spring is.

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/pur4000.pdf

·
Registered
594 Posts
surfmom, that model uses a roller bearing. It is part 98C and they call it a clutch. It is basically a one way bearing.
http://store.scottsbt.com/98C-3000SG-ClutchSleeve-Assembly-P22439C552.aspx
You are looking at $8.95 from scotts if that is the issue, which sounds like the problem if your reel handle will turn both ways (anti reverse wont stop it).
To me, if your reel is behaving in all other ways, you might be able to just pull apart the reel and degrease the bearing as it sounds like it is bound. Then put a light coat of grease or oil, the repair experts can chime in on that. It functions as a bearing and a gear. I think they come with grease from the factory. That bearing is pretty deep inside the reel so abuse would show up elsewhere first IMO.
Rule of thumb is if you can flip a switch to turn on the anti-reverse it uses a pawl and spring, if there is no switch, it uses a bearing. Also called "infinite anti reverse" as the bearing stops it immediately, where the pawl will allow slight backwards motion until it stops.
I have a fierce 6000 and it has held up pretty well. Going to buy a couple more for my standard bait rigs. It is pretty well built, and a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
696 Posts
pods advice is spot in all aspects in my opinion, surfmom. Looks like the part you want according to that schematic is 98C. Like he says, before you order any part though you'd want to try taking apart the reel to get to that trouble part and see if some degreasing and regreasing does the trick. If you take it apart and that 98C part is the only one that is bad, and degreasing/regreasing doesn't do the trick, then personally I'd try to order the new part as it looks like you could get it working again for under $10. If shipping adds too much maybe call the business and see if they'd be willing to ship the part in a tiny padded envelope. Some places have done that for me as their main shipping price quote was $7.50 shipping or somesuch for small box with tons of padding.

Great advice by the way pods. I will mention though I have a few Penns that have both the infinite anti reverse bearing and a switch system to disengage it with a little spring. I think the Captiva (Craptiva if you don't like it) is one of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts