Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Join the club, learning places to fish here as well. good place to ask is thses old codgers in here...uhh oh wait, i'm in here...

Anything specific you are fishing for ? of just fishing to catch fish like I do most of the time, doesn't matter what kind as long as it is a fish...lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
95% of time it is to fish for anything and to get away from home and get some peace.

the other times it is to take the kids to fish since they have learned to love to fish as much as I do

those times I need a good place to catch fish since kids get inpatient, as most parents know

Don't care about where, for kids it is always better closer to home since they aren't much into the travel time and never get up early and have to be home at reasonable time

Thanks for any suggestions

Karen

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I wish I could help you but I don't know the area. I have a nephew that likes to fish who lives near you. But I no longer make those trips. If you are going to be in Tidewater I would try and help you. Poppop has a great catfish hole and I know this area.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hello fishinggirl,

If you want a place closer to home for the kids? Try Burke Lake Park in Fairfax. You'll catch all the normal panfish and some nice bass. They also have boat rentals, a play ground and train ride that go's around the grounds. Hope this helps.:)...Tightlines

Burke Lake Park

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hat

Thanks for the info, I think I may check it out on the way home since I work in Fairfax, that way I know what to expect

What is the best bait to use there? I know some places the fish seem to be picky

Karen

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
fishinggirl,

Nightcrawlers and live crickets will work best. You may also want to bring some lures for the bass....Tightlines

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
So you're from Manassas, huh? aka - Man's A$$, "Lorena" :eek:

I grew up on the other side of the county from you in Woodbridge back when there were 2 high schools, no mall, 1 McDonald's and nothing but sticks. We'd go cow-tipping in your part of the county.

Check out Leesylvania Park - down 234 from you toward Quantico. I haven't been there in years but last time I was there it had plenty of shoreline with river access. I've seen reports from there from time to time on here too.

If freshwater is your interest, there's smallmouth galore in the Shenandoah River during the spring and summer. Head Rt 66 to Rt 50 until you cross the river. There's a small boat ramp and plenty of public shoreline underneath in that area. This area is best fished wading so it may not be the kid trip you're looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been night fishing in Leesylvania, but they changed the fishing so that you can only fish off the pier, not off the shoreline anymore. Gets difficlult when there are 50 of us fishing and only 20 feet of pier, and fishing wasn't the best.

I grew up in manassas as well, Been gone 14 years, and yes I remember when Woodbridge was nothing, met my ex-husband there. We used to go cow tipping on the way to Buckhall. How ya like that.

All the old fishing holes are now in peoples back yards, I couldn't believe that 234 is now a 4 lane highway, we used to live on a dirt road that is now paved with 2 new sub divisions at the end of the road.

how things change.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i'm from Richmond and seldom fish points north of here--i'm going fishing at the CBBT pier off norfolk this saturday--from about 7 a.m. til noon, for tautog and stripers

i'm leaving early cuz there's an oyster roast at awful arthur's here in richmond from noon-? with live bands, etc. and i'm meeting some friends there

i know that's a haul for you, but i usually fish the bay or nags head and sometimes va beach this time of year

those are my plans, and the more the merrier :)

take care, Karen

RodgerDodger

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This weekend is a rough one for me and I love Awful Arthurs. Always had a good time there and hung out with friends. At one time was helping the ex get a contract for landscaping for them, wonder if he got it and what it looks like?

I love fishing south of richmond especially New Kent and Hampton. Miss Grandview. Hear it was gone. Caught a huge spot, croaker, and shark last time I went. And 2 flounders that had to go back, aawww. :(

Let me know next time you head time, would have to make it a weekend trip and visit friends while I am in town. Miss the place and hope that one day I head back that way. Let me know how things are. Especially if International Paper hits the papers again. Waiting for them to go out of business so I can have a good laugh.

Have a grand time and let me know how the fishing is. Been to Dinwitti lately?

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok fishin girl i guess you can come but you can't bring any banna's we've been getting stripers to 30 inches and togs now so it is in the mix of starting to be a great season the fish are starting to work the birds and the bigger ones are haning under them sen me a PM or an email at [email protected] when you get some time

Later
Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fishin Girl,

As for freshwater areas around Manassass, have you heard of Curtis Lake in Stafford? It has plenty of good structure accessible from the shore. I lived about a mile away from 93 to 97, before I moved to Chesapeake, and used to wade with my flyrod and would catch nice crappies and some nice bass. Minnows in the fall can bring some nice bass along the tree cover on the north side of the lake by the public launch ramp. I used to get my bait at Wayne's Bait Shop off of Mountain View road (I think) I'm heading up in two weeks for the Skins game, but I hope to wet a line at Curtis.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are awsome. Def keep me in mind when you hit this area. Hate you for going to Skins game without me. Dont even get to do that. Guess I will watch on big screen, but thats ok too. Have to teach 10 year old the game for his sportmanship pin in scouts.

Glad to have found so many good friends at P&S. Fishing hasn't been this much fun since I was a teen. Didn't have many fishing friends once I got married. Ex didn't think it was right for a girl to hang with the fellas, he just did not know what he was missing or he was jealous of all the time I spent with them. His loss now.

LOL, will prob hit some of these areas soon to give it a try, but have to restock the tackel box since dad has found it.

Need to find a place to get MD fishing license before next week. Any ideas before things close

1 - 20 of 20 Posts