Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm headed there to putz around with croaker and rays. Say hi if you see me--I'll probably be on the long side.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No dice...

Not much luck. We saw a few croaker, catfish and small stripers come over the rail. We got a few crabs in the traps but not enough to mess with.

On the upside, I took out a new portable fishfinder that I'm reviewing for the site for Humminbird. After tossing it from the pier, I read something right on the bottom about fifteen feet from the pier. I told Julie to drop the line there, and she immediately bowed up with her first cownose ray. I had fun watching it drag her up and down the pier; she brought it to gaff after about a fifteen minute fight. I had to take a picture before turning it back.

Hope ya'll had better luck this weekend than we did.

P.S.: What's up with all the trash on the pier? That place is getting nasty.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I too have noticed the excess of trash laying around. It seems that no one wants a place to fish anymore. If this keeps up, this will become another North Beach.
-Anthony

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember my Father taking my Bother and I down there. I started my Son and Nephew off fishing there. D*** shame people can't pick up after themselves.:mad:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened with Kent Narrows.

Why is it so hard for a-holes to pick their trash up! The place looked like a pigsty. :mad: I wish the cops would start enforcing litter laws out there.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey guys, it takes everyone to keep the place clean. Do what a lot of us do, bring a trash bag and pick it up.:D We should be doing that everywhere we fish.

Catman.;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Think the trash could have had anything to do with north beach ??
Think about it every where you go there is litter all over the place,
you know its people fishing because of the bait containers . :( :(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Almost every place I've been to has trash sitting arround like that.The Wasons Corner and Kent Narrows has the most trash.People need to learn to pick up after themseves:mad: .:mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Trashing our piers and what we can do

(I just started a new thread on this topic, so if you'd like to reply please see that Thread....)

Seriously doubt if it's anyone on these Boards trashing the piers. People who respect the sport enough to read and communicate on the Boards are part of a community who surely appreciates it's assets and wouldn't despoil them.

My guess is you get the occasional lowlife out for a day with no respect for the other people who've been coming there for years and who want to continue to.

I was on my way back to Annapolis from Assateague yesterday and thought I'd stop at Choptank to check out the pier since I'd read so much about it from you guys. I pulled into the lot, saw all the trash lying around, and wondered why any of you even bother, to be quite honest. It was disgusting, and depressing. Particularly after spending a beautiful morning catching trout out of a pristine surf on a very clean beach.

So, what to do? First, I think it's up to US to ask the local police and politicians to start enforcing litter laws at the piers. It should be done in as organized and "official" way possible, so these people know there is an organized community out there that care about the public places in their communities. This makes two points - 1) it's not us trashing the place; 2) we would like to see them help solve the problem, not just throw up their hands and do stupid stuff like close the pier.

Two, if you see someone littering, gently remind them to pack it out and that piers are closing due to litter and noise elsewhere.

Three, if you see trash, I guess go ahead and pick it up. If each one of us brings a Hefty bag with us every time we go out, and we each make a point of picking up a bit of the litter, the piers would become clean fast. Maybe not the most fair arrangement, but one that'll keep us all fishing. I'm going to start doing that, personally.

Also, maybe a permit to fish the pier after 10pm or so isn't such a bad idea. This would keep the pier used by mostly people who care about fishing in the hours when enforcement might be more difficult.

Anyone have an opinion on any of this? Is there someone from a group that would make sense to communicate with the local mayor/town council?

·
Registered
467 Posts
When was the last time any of you fished NBP?

I was just wondering when the last time any of you fished NBP. I rewad alot of posts about maybe the trash was part of the problem but thats not it. There are 3 big trash recepticals on the pier and most of the time the trash is in it. Just my thoughts.

MC

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
true, trash in barrels

never saw a problem with trash
the barrels did fill up sometimes

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Isn't there trash barrels at all of these places;but somtimes they get full and the trash people don't get around to emtying them.:--->

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
No trash barrells at choptank. They do the honor system (supposedly). You bring your trash down in a bag to end of pier by parking and set it down and (supposedly) they are to come and pick it up. They usually bring a small white truck and come and get rid of it. (really, I have seen it done twice) That is why I think a lot of you see the trash when you get to the choptank pier. I mean granted there is trash still on the pier itself but at least some of it is congregated at end of pier. Maybe we need to lobby to have a few trash barrells down there so it doesn't look so messy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The pier is a state park. For better or for worse, Maryland decided to do away with trash containers in most state parks and make people responsible for hauling out their own garbage.

Most parks don't even provide dumpsters for this but the Choptank does. The people in the white trucks are Park Rangers and not garbagemen. Yes, they do pick up bags of trash left by people but that is not why they are there.

When you go in, grab a bag from under the sign, use it to bring out your own garbage and throw it in the dumpster.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey Jack, where is that dumpster at? Is it over in the other parking right next to the main parking or over by the VFW. I have never noticed it and don't think many people know it is there. I have always gotten there early enough to park in parking lot in front of pier entrance. I know the white truck is the part of the rangers but usually when he/she is there he walks down pier checking people for license and illegal fish while another guy picks up the trash and even drives it down the pier cleaning up as he goes. I didn't mean to say it was his job b/c it is every persons job to clean up his own trash. If that dumpster is there than trash should not be put at end of pier on the grass there. It should be put in the dumpster. I was told that information by many of the people I talked to the first time I went there, but I will be sure to take the extra few steps to drop it into the dumpster nearby. And tell everyone else that I see dropping trash there too. That is why we are gonna have a cleanup there on the 2nd of Aug. Everyone is invited to come help clean up and have a good time fishing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are two dumpsters on the Talbot side almost directly across from the office. I don't know about the other side.

Sorry if it seemed like I was flaming you. I just know that those people work hard. I was there one day when when one of the lady rangers was in back of the office changing the oil in the truck. They don't deserve to be relegated to cleaning up after these slobs. They are needed to see that the pier doesn't become another North Beach.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Got ya! No offense taken big guy! Only more reliable information is what I got. I totally agree with ya. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'll be there tonight for the high tide

Intend to get there between 6-8 PM on the long side to fish. See my post. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts