Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
JRB

just got back. got in around 1pm, left around 8pm. got 6 spot, nothing else. tried it everthing i had....nothing. saw 2 undersized stripers caught while the tide was almost completely out. that's it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Weather report should be pretty warm this week.
So if it's too early for JRB where should I go for rocks this weekend? Keep in mind I only have hip waders, so I can only get out in a foot and a half of water with the occasional big wave.

·
Registered
547 Posts
they are here

I have caught 38 fish on my last 3 trips to the jrb pier. many were small but my biggest was 22 POUNDS....on 12lb test tackle.

i regularly outfish everyone else on the pier....heres how to do it:

1- fish outgoing tide at night

2-cast into the shadows of the big bridge and let your lure sink. fish it deep and slow.

3-the ones breaking the surface are always small, cast at them, but let the lure sink because the big ones are under them.

4-have the right lure. i have a favorite and it works like magic, but live spot will also tear them up.

5-use the current to brush your baits up against the pilings, the closer the better.

please let me know if you have any luck with this. i want to know if anyone reads this and if my info helps, i'll post more.

tight lines

va boy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks VA boy

I'll be hitting the JRB Sat or Sun night.
Does the current run hard there? Just want to know if I should pickup some heavier lures. I have bucktails up to 3/4 oz.

·
Registered
176 Posts
3/4 oz. jigheads should be plenty of weight for the strongest tide at the JRB. I use some as light as 3/8 oz. most of the time. If you know how to rig it you can use two jigs at the same time. That would definately ensure enough weight at the height of the outgoing tide.

The tide starts moving first closest to shore. Sometimes that makes it the most active at the second light post, but sometimes the action is near the end.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fished the JRB from 5-9 tonight, outgoing tide. I must be doing something wrong b/c I couldn't catch anything. There were lots of small, 8-12 inch fish on the surface. I fished all over the place but got hit by nothing big enough to swallow a lure. Only thing I can think of that I didn't try was a lot of bottom-dragging with a heavy lure. I also live-lined a perch for a couple hours.
There must have been 100 people come and go on the pier, did not see or hear of anyone catching a keeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts