Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, a $200 rod shouldn't have trouble two years after you buy it. I noticed last weekend that the ceramic insert in the tip of my 1023s Loomis had come out.

Salty had his snap last year on a cast.

Has anyone else had trouble with these rods?

Now I guess I had to decide if I'll have someone fix it locally or if I'll go through the wait and expense of shipping it to them. :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might check at the Fisherman's Edge in Catonsvillle, Joe Bruice's shop. The rod repair guy there is first class. The shop is on Edmonston just east of Rolling Road.
John

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
The tip is easy to heat and remove. Then just find a matching tip and glue it on with some hot melt glue. If you brought it to me, I could have it done in about 3 or 4 minutes. Rewrapping it, well, that's another story.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If the season was just starting

and I needed the rod I would fix it myself or have it done local. With that said, the season is all but over and you have the time to send it to back G. Loomis.

That rod is under warranty for life if you are the original owner. By sending it back it will stay under warranty. Have someone else fix it and you can kiss the warranty goodbye. IMO at this time of the year, it's worth the wait....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yes sir I am with Hat, back to the company it would go. Especially a loomis(which like you said shouldn't be causing you problems) but every once in a while crap happens. Send it back and get it replaced.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got this off the G. Loomis website

See #9

FAQ : CUSTOMER SERVICE

Customer Service FAQ Category

1. What if I broke a rod that has been discontinued?

2. How do I find a G.Loomis dealer in my area?

3. Why can't I buy a rod directly through G.Loomis?

4. What do I do if I have lost the label to my custom blank?

5. How do I get a new catalog?

6. Where can I buy G.Loomis clothing or accessories?

7. How do I get in contact with customer service?

8. Can I get guide spacing for my custom blank?

9. The ceramic insert came out of my tip guide, what can I do?

10. Do I need a return authorization number to return a rod?

1. What if I broke a rod that has been discontinued?
We will replace a discontinued rod with the closest comparable model.

2. How do I find a G.Loomis dealer in my area?
In order to find the closest G.Loomis dealer in your area, you can go to the dealer portion of our web site and sort by state to find a listing of dealers in your state. With that information you can sort through those listings to find the dealers closest to you.

3. Why can't I buy a rod directly through G.Loomis?
We here at G.Loomis are dedicated to distributing our rods and reels through our dealers. These dealers are independent businesses which employ knowledgeable salespeople who can help you select the best G.Loomis rod or reel for your specific fishing applications.

4. What do I do if I have lost the label to my custom blank?
If you have lost the label to your custom blank you will need to contact customer service via our "Contact Us" form or by phone at 1-800-662-8818 to receive a new label.

5. How do I get a new catalog?
To receive a new catalog directly from G.Loomis feel free to use our "Catalog Request" form or call us toll free at 1-800-662-8818.

6. Where can I buy G.Loomis clothing or accessories?
Our clothing and accessories are available through any of our dealers and may also be purchased directly from G.Loomis. To place an order you can call customer service toll free at 1-800-662-8818.

7. How do I get in contact with customer service?
Our customer service representatives may be contacted by email from our "Contact Us" form on this web site. If you would like to reach them by phone, our toll free number is 1-800-662-8818.

8. Can I get guide spacing for my custom blank?
Yes, If you would like guide spacing please feel free to contact customer service toll free at 1-800-662-8818 or use our "Contact Us" form on this web site.

9. The ceramic insert came out of my tip guide, what can I do?
You have a couple of options. If you would like to do the repair yourself or your local dealer would do the repair for you we would be happy to put a replacemen tip-top in the mail. Contact us via email or on our toll-free phone line with your rod's model number and of course, your name and address, and we will get the replacement tip top out to you ASAP. If you would prefer our repair department to replace your tip-top, please send the rod to us and we will be happy to fix it.

10. Do I need a return authorization number to return a rod?
No, you will not need a Return Authorization number. In order to send a rod in for warranty, all you will need to do is send the rod to our address with a check or money order for $20.00 to cover return shipping and handling charges.

These guys are a Class Act. You won't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get Your Rod fixed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
hey bore. that is good information as i have wondered about loomis. i'm sure you know they were sold to shimano about 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have one of those $300 Loomis rods and I always keep it in a rod case because I'm affraid it might break but if it does I'll just send it back to the company.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've never had a problem with them- even the one I snapped- I had a new one in hand within a day or two (via Loomis through FedEx) at the cost of 50$. Might have something to do with it being a "Canadian" version. ;) I wouldn't bother to ship it back for a new tip- I'd just go local.

If you want, let me know and I can switch them out for you while you are around for x-mas- just have to get the tip. It's probably a PST8/7 or 7.5. I even have plenty of black and silver laying around if needed. It would then just have to cure overnight. Lot cheaper than sending it back... I would only send them back a rod if it was absolutely useless to me- ie. broken.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I have had my tip top break on my st croix which wasn't cheap either. I went to the shop I usually deal with and had them change it. Hadn't had a problem. Infact some of my other rods the tip tops have done the same thing. I know one was because it hit the side of my truck when it slid. my carelessness but accidents happen. That's a judgement you will have to make.

·
Registered
680 Posts
sand flea. when i go to the casting tour. i usually carry my supply of tips with me[no good to you now]. i'll have 75-100 on hand. they are very easy to replace. takes a min or 2,just be careful if you do it yourself, if you get to much heat it will soften your rod and you will have to cut off a little. spoils action.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Loomis is shipping me a tip.

I had concerns about having the rod repaired by myself or in a shop, but using a factory tip solves the problem. They were very good about shipping it out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't use epoxy or just any kind of "hot" glue.

Use Ferrule Cement.

There are many types of "hot" glue. Formulated for many different purposes.

Ferrule Cement is formulated to bond Stainless Steel to "inorganic" materials. (ie: Fishing Rods)

That bond needs to harden at temperatures above the maximum ambient temperature to witch the rod will be exposed. (At least 150 degrees.)

And to remain maleable at the lowest temperature it might have to endure.

It also needs to be impervious to Saltwater and the Resins in the rod blank.

That G. Loomis is too nice a rod to screw it up with a thoughtless repair.

Nothing's ever as simple as it should be.

·
Registered
680 Posts
bore.good advice. i have changed thousands in many+years. the worst thing you can do is use epoxy cement. if it ever has to be again repaired, the only way it can be done is cut the tip at the end of guide. too much heat and the rod softens and has to be cut. use only ferrule cement.when removing old tip just apply a moderate amount of heat to soften cement , pull off with pliers. melt some ferrule cement and put on rod, reheat vey lightly, then put on tip, you will have time to line up tip before it hardens. as you put on tip some excess cement will gather. allow to harden and it will just break off with a little pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts