Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bum shoulder or I would prolly try tonight. If its better will prolly try chicks Tue night an New Yrs eve, anybody else gonna try for a last minute keeper?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well I got a rental Vechile so I will hit the Creeks 2-4 times between the end now and the end of the year. I did lose a long range trip last night.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm gonna try to get out late tonight or tomorrow at chicks or lynnhaven. I could really use one last fish to take to the wife, I don't think she believes me anymore when i say I am going fishing. I never come home with anything..:eek:

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bassn said:
I'm gonna try to get out late tonight or tomorrow at chicks or lynnhaven. I could really use one last fish to take to the wife, I don't think she believes me anymore when i say I am going fishing. I never come home with anything..:eek:

todd
bassn,
Its cuz of th gloves. ;) Wear wool ones like mine an if she questions ya ask her to smell em. :eek:

Digger, I know you usally go late but I will prolly go to chicks from 5-10pm on New yrs eve. Let me know if ya wanna hitch a ride.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Dawg....must be sumpin goin round with this shoulder thing....woke up one am last week and it was hurtin and it still kinda hurts if I move it in tha wrong direction.Any Drs. out there??....I 'm gonna try in get out feeshen but I wont believe it till I feel the breeze in my face....the R

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Well, I'm a not a doctor, but I play one on the internet....

How's your back? I occasionally do the chiropractor gig. Had a bad shoulder after fishing, then it moved to the other. Got her cracked and felt just fine!

I finally caught a legal fish(1). But had to go on a boat to do it. Maybe, maybe not, again before the new year. But the season ain't quite over yet. Soon, I'm afraid.

New years resolution: fish more with Cdog and Digger.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cdog,
I'll try the glove :cool:

I think ya'll have bum sholders from fishing so much... Surely ain't nothing wrong with getting out there as much as possible, but being in waders in chest high water, you always have you shoulders pulled up as high as possible. it is not a normal position and that is probably why we all are sore this time of year. my 2 cents...

Hope to see you all out there, and if not, be safe on the new year.

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Durn, R I didn't want to hear that. I figured it would be gone tomorrow. But if not I'm going to get it cracked.

Doc, glad ya got a keeper even if it was on a boat. I'll call ya! Cya soon.

bassn, good diagonsis. Did ya stay at a Holiday Inn? :D Come on out. If not we'll hook up at SB.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Cdog, I think bassn may be on to something there. I fished Chix the other night with a n/w wind pushing some 1-2' waves on the beach and when you wade out as far as possible to get to the fish you almost always cast and fish with your arms up in the air which to me is an abnormal position.

Well just like everyone else here is saying I woke up the next day with sore shoulders and upper back. Couldn't figure it out until I stopped and thought about what I did the night before and it the same thought occured to me about the way I was fishing. I normally fish with arms down and rod butt in my chest, so that could be it.

Of course at my age when you wake up hurting somewhere the only thing it really means is you're still alive ;) God forbid you wake up and feel good all over you may be near the Pearly Gates :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yep, I had the same soreness when trying to keep the elbows out of the water and do about 1000 casts at Chix's last time out.

One word: Conditioning

It may sound funny, but if you work on strenthening the smaller muscles around your arms, shoulders and back, this will get you in better condition for fishing.

I'm not talking about going to Gold's Gym and benching 300# and looking like Charles Atlas. (The Atlas reference is for us 'older' generation) Just use 5# to do shoulder lateral raises and front raises will high reps (20 minimum) and high number of sets (6-8). These work on the small muscles around the ball & socket joints.
(Also, do a search on specific excercises on strengthening the rotator cuff - same concept but additional exercises).

Same thing with biceps - there's no need to have Arnold arms for fishing. One are curls with lighter weight to keep them tone. (And no, 12oz curls don't count :) ) Work the triceps too by arm extensions (donkey kicks) with lighter weight.

Then there's the back. Strengthening the stomach will aid the back support. Yes, that means stomach crunches - lots of them.

Swimming is also a great crosstraining exercise. It works almost all body muscles and is a aerobic too.

Here's an article specifically on conditioning for fishing:

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f_fea_fishing_fitness_Allen.html

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My outfit doesn't get any lighter for saltwater- 7' graphite rod rated at 1/4-3/4 matched with a Shimano Spheros (~10oz). I lost 2 this year when I couldn't muscle them out of the pylons at the CBBT. I'm just a wuss.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Another word for ya........STRETCHING!! I do work out and that means both strength training and aerobic training ( but never enough!!) but that wont keep the occasional muscle pain from happening. If and when it does a good stretch is usually all it takes (before and after the activity). If that fails the good old "home cure" of three fingers of a high octane adult beverage will usually do it. ;) :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you guys are right about th exercise an stretching. This was my first season heavily lure fishing for stripers an tween th shoulder an th new calus on my index finger proves that to me. Oh well shoulder is feeling better. Guess I need to stretch before I head out next.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts