Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know were are in tight economic times and big time political debates and oil prices are high, but I have a worry that wont leave me alone......
With Sufix being bought by Rapala what kind of line do I go to..
Was thinking Momoi and then read Drumdums post talking about how it kept breaking.
See Newsjeff asking about p-line with no decisive respones..
These are scarey times...(not to make light of big issues stated above)
Either way i have been paying $45 for 1lb spool of tritanium now going to have to pay $75 for 1lb of the p-line.
One of you engineer design people get out there and create a good abrasion resistant line in 17-18lb test!!!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
20lb Cabela's Salt Striker mono in chartreuse. $20 for a 1lb spool (about 2400 yards). I've used a couple spools of it already; it's soft, fairly consistent and knots nicely. The 20lb micc's out at 0.39mm, which is right about the diameter of Sufix Tritanium Plus. The best part is the 60-day satisfaction guarantee.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How about tight line from BPS?? I have used the 20lb test with no issues and have it on all my grass reels from 8 up to 15lb test. I also enjoy Berkley Big Game for my shock leader and Ande's for my rigs. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
How about tight line from BPS?? I have used the 20lb test with no issues and have it on all my grass reels from 8 up to 15lb test. I also enjoy Berkley Big Game for my shock leader and Ande's for my rigs. Good luck out there.
the bps line has nasty memory.... and it breaks.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
the bps line has nasty memory.... and it breaks.
Yep. That's why I quit using it. Back when I was learning to cast a conventional surf rod, I went through a lot of line, so I tried a bit of everything. For the price, there are better lines out there than the BPS Tightline. Heck, 15lb Trilene Big Game is still great line. Measuring in at 0.40mm, it's a tad thicker than other maker's 15lb, but it's strong, knots nicely, and is consistent.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
geez. i just bought a whole damn spool of the diamond in 16.... tied knots with teh 17 tri, and the damn diamond keeps breaking........ i think im about over it... that was a lot of money to throw away. 6500's gotta be fed and I don't know with what anymore!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Glad I have not bought any of it yet. I'll let ya'll spen all the money testing.:beer::popcorn:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I bought two half-pound spools of 20# and one of 40# BPS Tightline in hi-viz yellow last week, and have been very impressed with it. I used the 20# on my anchor rods and it held up as well as the 30# I had been using. The 40# went on my fighting rod (6/0 Senator) and it landed me my first king. I didn't notice any major memory problems with either test. JMHO.

And at $9.99 for 1350 yds of 20#, I can afford to strip and respool when I backlash or notice dings in the line.

Evan

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Anyone ever used Gamma High-Performance Copolymer Fishing Line?

I like the coploymers, and this line is purdy thin.

Although they make it in hi-vis gold, I don't think they sell in spools bigger than 300 yards.

17.5 lb - High Vis Gold - 0.30 mm - 300 yds - $11.95

20.0 lb High Vis Gold - 0.33 mm - 300 yds - $11.95

But that's $120 for a 3,000 yards (1lb spool).

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I've used it and liked it. Have not been able to find it in bigger spools though. I know it's made because I had 2 reels spooled with it at Stop & Shop in KDH

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mamoi is a great line. Now for another great line at a great Price give the Flying Fisher Line a try.:fishing:
Ive been onto flying fisher for a while now! I hear the diameter is much thinner, just how much is much thinner? Abrasion is one of my main concerns! How about memory? Casting? Bps tight line sure does have a good price ill try it next time, does it have good abrasion?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
i dunno. i bought the tightline in twenty. after a day of casting at the river, it was nicked up(but all lines do). The memory considering I had just spooled it the night before was TERRIBLE... after the day was over i was tying a new shock and had the biminni break 3 or 4 times while i was tying. I'll use it to cast with but I wouldn't fish with it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts