Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told it may open june/july.I liked that pier.A few years back a friend and i escaped the crowds at longbeach and drove to frisco.we had a king hit and caught a cobia.only 4 rigs out.Was hoping to fish there this june(mid-month)

·
Registered
64 Posts
What's going on with the pier? Are they extending, repairing....? I was planning to fish it the week before Memorial Weekend, but I guess I need to change my plans. How's Rodanthe doing?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
june?no work started but it will open in june??Hope so!That would be sweet!I was there last in 04.back then there was talks of extending the pier back to how it was back in the day.Did that ever happen?All the same when we were there in june 04 the kings were there!I helped a kid catch a nice cobia on a bottom rig he set out for cobia.we had a king come out of the water with my bluefish on his head(didnt hookem).The day before the first two of the year were caught. The water that day at low tide couldnt have been 10 feet! who cares though when the fish are there.we gave up a 1/2 weeks hotel stay(prepaid) at longbeach because the pier there was swamped.if a king was on it would be miserable.maybe 45 rigs out.no fun in my book.frisco is laid back

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
june?no work started but it will open in june??Hope so!That would be sweet!I was there last in 04.back then there was talks of extending the pier back to how it was back in the day.Did that ever happen?All the same when we were there in june 04 the kings were there!I helped a kid catch a nice cobia on a bottom rig he set out for cobia.we had a king come out of the water with my bluefish on his head(didnt hookem).The day before the first two of the year were caught. The water that day at low tide couldnt have been 10 feet! who cares though when the fish are there.we gave up a 1/2 weeks hotel stay(prepaid) at longbeach because the pier there was swamped.if a king was on it would be miserable.maybe 45 rigs out.no fun in my book.frisco is laid back
Oh Frisco was not always "laidback".... I can remember rigs all the way around the end from cleaning table on one side of pier to cleaning table on the other side,as many as 60plus,with about that many kings decked..

I don't know if it is going to be finished by June,like you I have my doubts.. All that I'm saying is what I have been told.. I do know he is mandated by NPS to get something done,as it is a consession...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
frisco aint quite so laid back past few summers lol...lotsa rugrats runnin around and kingfishing...makes it fun/entertaining to me i still got some rugrat left...but somepeople get annoyed...water at the T about maybe 6' last year...bar runs even with end of the pier....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris,
Did the pier go out farther years back?A local told me that it did.On google earth you can see the sandbar under water.pretty neat.I grew up in n.myrtle beach and we caught kings from august to october.the spring run was a waste of time with very few kings caught and we never ever saw cobia.loved the old long beach pier.sad to see it go.oceancrest catches lots of kings but after learning first hand how they decide for you where your rig will go turnned me away.the crowd is crazy too.back in 03 or 02 i went there to fish.they drew pingpong balls from a machine to determine where you got to set out your rig.i was first there and i had to fish off of the side of the pier because of my drawing number.there were only 6 of us fishing and 3 wqere on top of each other and the rest of us were on the side.i like the first come first choice deal myself but there are some fine folks at the pier no doubt.its a good pier.with the uncertainty of frisco we may just fish yaupon pier.always can count on trout with live shrimp at all oakisland piers and flounder.

does frisco normally do well on kings and cobia in june?i loved my day at frisco!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Chris,
Did the pier go out farther years back?A local told me that it did.On google earth you can see the sandbar under water.pretty neat.I grew up in n.myrtle beach and we caught kings from august to october.the spring run was a waste of time with very few kings caught and we never ever saw cobia.loved the old long beach pier.sad to see it go.oceancrest catches lots of kings but after learning first hand how they decide for you where your rig will go turnned me away.the crowd is crazy too.back in 03 or 02 i went there to fish.they drew pingpong balls from a machine to determine where you got to set out your rig.i was first there and i had to fish off of the side of the pier because of my drawing number.there were only 6 of us fishing and 3 wqere on top of each other and the rest of us were on the side.i like the first come first choice deal myself but there are some fine folks at the pier no doubt.its a good pier.with the uncertainty of frisco we may just fish yaupon pier.always can count on trout with live shrimp at all oakisland piers and flounder.

does frisco normally do well on kings and cobia in june?i loved my day at frisco!
Not Chris,but yes back when I fished it for kings it was longer... We caught plenty of kings and cobes back then (mid 70's late 80's).. We caught kings from May thru Nov,sometimes as early as April.. It has changed since,but there are kings and cobes to be had and June is a good time to try...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your reply drum dum and masterbaiter!!! hahahahaha!i love those names.Let me tell you guys what im thinking and tell me if its worth a hoot or not(please ofcourse!)
weather permitting i would like to let momma sit on the beach and chill while i take the yak off the beach somewhere near frisco.thought about anchoring and balloning a blue or pogey.were talking june9-16 time frame.worth a try or a waste?maybe slow troll abit.

also is it worth a hoot to try for trout with live shrimp on a cork in that area.Jill on the hill wants to chill on the beach while i fish.she wants to sling bait while i yak.shrimp on the bottom or something like that for whitting..opps! i mean sea mullet!never fished for trout or flounder there so i didnt know if it was worth it.

then there is ole mother nature!! may be to rough to yak!one last thing and ill shut up! when i was there in june 04 there was already a school or two of menhaden,do they normally come through near frisco then? seemed early to me.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
thanks for your reply drum dum and masterbaiter!!! hahahahaha!i love those names.Let me tell you guys what im thinking and tell me if its worth a hoot or not(please ofcourse!)
weather permitting i would like to let momma sit on the beach and chill while i take the yak off the beach somewhere near frisco.thought about anchoring and balloning a blue or pogey.were talking june9-16 time frame.worth a try or a waste?maybe slow troll abit.

also is it worth a hoot to try for trout with live shrimp on a cork in that area.Jill on the hill wants to chill on the beach while i fish.she wants to sling bait while i yak.shrimp on the bottom or something like that for whitting..opps! i mean sea mullet!never fished for trout or flounder there so i didnt know if it was worth it.

then there is ole mother nature!! may be to rough to yak!one last thing and ill shut up! when i was there in june 04 there was already a school or two of menhaden,do they normally come through near frisco then? seemed early to me.
I dont think that the live shrimp on a cork will hold up in the currents, At least I havent had any luck with that. IT works great in the sound or other calm areas, but I havent had much luck anywhere with a decent current. just my .02

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks payne. i think im going to yak out some cobia baits and chill on the hill with my jill.maybe catch a seamullet or spot.might catch some minnows and see if we can find mr flattie too.think between frisco and the point would be cool? probably try a ways south of point.

anyone ever ballon crabs for cobia? seems like it would work as well as eels.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with some nice flatties on carolina rigged finger mullet, Live and dead. I caught the majority of my flounder in small troughs with decent cross current last year.I dont have any experience with cobia from the surf, but plan on getting some this year:D.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
pogey moe, i wouldnt know a thing bout teh old days, i dont go back that far, but i m pretty sure i remember it being longer when i was like 8 or ten before i really started fishing...kings have been soso past year or two in the summer on frisco...very few..cobia were abundant last june..and june before...decent shot at one...think close in

far as the yak..prolly got a better shot of gettin a cobe outa your yak sight casting or slow trolling around and have a rod ready with a bucktail or eel or something to toss to one on top...also the deep water be alot easier to yak baits out to off the beach than slidin a livebait off the pier...but kinda cuts kings outta teh picture ....takes a heckuva cast with the anchor to get where i like to fish off the pier

id kill to get a yak to be able to fish the bar way off the end of frisco in the heat of summer....the creatures i done seen out there..will flat make ya pissed sittin on the end of a dead pier

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chris/tacpayne

i think i will fish just up or below the pier.june10-15.ill have a blue yak.if ya want to use it some thats cool.i think i have my plan for the beach.might yak out cobia baits (bottom only i guess) and maybe float around in the yak if water is good for kings.if not i will bottom fish on the beach.

what i wonder is if the trout or flounder will be findable behind frisco woods.i know skeeters will eat us up but i think we will stay there.we love to camp.

may try to do some giggin if i can find out if its legal there.

yall look for us if ya want to yak out baits and i might even take some baits out after dark!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Talked to the waitress at the Quarter Deck restaurant across the highway from the pier. She said the concessioner is on a church mission overseas and will not be back until end of May. Will take at least a month from then to complete repairs. They've dropped about 5 piles in the parking lot, but that's it. Last year the pier was open first week in May.

Pier was longer before Isabelle. It had an automated weather reporting station on the end. I found it on the web and got real time air temp, water temp, barometric pressure, water height, wind speed, etc. I was watching online in PA when Isabelle hit. Pressure plunged, wind speed went way up, water height way up, etc, then it all stopped at 3:00--end of pier, with station, broke off. Next year they blocked off the broken end, but opened. Next year they added the current T on the end. I printed out the graphs of the data from the web leading up to and at 3:00 and have it hanging on my wall at home in PA.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.