Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend give me a 6'6" tuna stick with a penn 309 level wind on it. I don't use a boat,i just pier and surf fish. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fish this set up from land or should I buy a larger rod for the reel or what? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey reb, one of the biggest problems with boards like this is the hype. Just remember that our fore fathers fished with nothing more than a bone hook and some leather string.

Fishing is what YOU make of it. Get yourself some good bait (artificial or frozen) and descent line to go with that outfit and load up. Fish the equipment you have, learn and then grow and improve your equipment with your experience. Most people on here, I believe, spend more time chasing equipment trends than fishing and having fun.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!

:cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Johnnyreb74,

You have a good heavy pier rod and reel combo there. It may be tough to cast for surf fishing. I share what I think Surf and Turf meant. Don't get carried away with the equipment until you see that you are going to like a particular type of fishing. Sports authority up hee has surf combos under the Calypso name from South Bend reasonable. It would give you an cheap price on equipment to get started. I am still using 3 Daiwa 7000 series reels I bought second hand at a yeard sale.

Good luck in whatever fishing you chase and drop me an e-mail if you decide to get rid of that tuna stick and real.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Reb,
I agree with Surf & Turf. Use waht you have and learn with it. Sports Authority and Wal-Mart have some decent pier and surf combo's that are inexpensive [$30-40]. If you don't know what's the better deal, get up with one of the guys on this site and they'll help. Heck, I've used medium bass gear and a 5 weight fly rod and caught nice stripers. It's all fun.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
king rig?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey reb,th outfit you have would work for pier fishing an as emanuel said prolly work for a king rig.For surf fishing in th ocean where you have waves breaking a longer rod would be better to keep your line outta th waves which tend to push th bait onshore,good luck to you an remember this is JMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts