Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone form columbia around here? Winter break is coming so i finally have time to go fishing again! The only place we know of is lake elkorn, and i have never caught anything but bluegills that are smaller then my hand. Only thing we know how to use are nightcrawlers( just hook them on there tightly and throw them in), anyone have a sweet spot or pointers? I am a complete rookie that decided to try fishing.

Thanks ahead

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Piney Run lake, I think it's off Liberty Rd.(Eldersburg,Md.) take Rt.32 towards Westminster, when you come to the intersection of Rt.32 and Liberty Rd. make a left and go down about 3 to 5 miles and there will be a park sign(brown sign) on your left(stop light) make that left and follow it for a mile or so, park enterance on left. The lake it's self has catfish,bass,crappie,yellow pearch,bluegill and landlocked rock. The first five fish can be caught on nightcrawlers and the rock bite on chicken livers(need to tie them on hook with thread). There might be a fee to enter the park,maybe! I know in the spring the fee is $3 but don't know about this time of year. TRIGGER

·
Registered
11 Posts
Give Centennial Park in Columbia a try. Large dammed lake . Boat ramp (~$5 fee), electrics/rowing only, rentals also available. Catfish, bass, crappie, perch, and tiger muskie.
Don't know how it is in the winter, but in the spring, with bass spawning/nesting, you can have a ball throwing artificals (spinner baits, etc.). There are some large fish in this lake.
Directions (modify as needed): Take Rt 175 west to Rt 29 north.
Very next exit, take Rt 108 west. Centennial Park is about one mile, on the right. Follow signs to boat ramp/parking. A hiking trail completely surrounds the lake, so there's a lot of shore access.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Kwan1,

Check the DNR homepage, they list a lot of
areas near you. Columbia itself is good
for "fun" fishing such as Lake Elkhorn and
Centennial Lake, but for better quantity/quality
you will need to venture a little further out.

If you are a little more daring or really want
some good eating fish, I would suggest
a trip down to the O.C. MD or Lewis, DE
area (once the weather calms down)
and try to go out for some strippers/togs on
a headboat (Lewis, DE) or fish from the
rocks at IRI (DE) for togs/strippers.
For more info on these sites, check the
hot spots links on this site. Good Luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I went to Piney Run yesterday it is open for fishing but no boating till March. They lock the entrance gate at 4:00pm, so if you want to stay latter you need to park you car outside of the gate and hike in to the lake. There was no fee.
Piney run is fisherman friendly and there are a number of places to fish from shore. The one problem is that there is a lot of dead grass floating around the main fishing dock; so you could not use crank and spinner baits.
The rest rooms are closed but you can use the one in the nature center.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Thanks Fish Bait. I thought they closed at the end of Oct., my wife saying thinking gets me in trouble......:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Orest, You are partly right; they close boating the end of Oct till March. I did my last day of kayaking there Oct 31.
I am snowed in in Frederick how’s it going out your way?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
When I woke up this am there was at least 7 - 8 " of snow on the ground. As I was driving east to Odenton on Rt. 32 to catch the commuter train, the snow was changing to sleet around 95 and Fort Meade. In DC where I work no snow just some rain.

I'll call home soon to see what going on there now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, I'm from Elkridge.

Best places,

Paptasco River (did I spell right?)
rt 29 north -> 70 west -> get off on marriottsvilee rd north. park right before the train rail and walk along the train rail about a mile. There is small fall and a small lake, not many go there..
bass, goot trout spot.

Cent. Park
They also have trouts and Fishin explained well..

Liberty Resv.
Catfish, bass, trouts, and more

these are where I fish fresh water :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
You walk downstream, so when you park, you have to cross the road. That's a beautiful place and plenty fish. I think that's where they stock trouts.

You can access the same pool by paying the park fee, but the place I described is much better, location wise.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
That stream just north of there Piney Run is also good for trout.

Go across tracks and make your second left onto Marriottsville Rd II , from the first road on your left and back to Marriottsville they stock trout there also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts