Pier and Surf Forum banner

any more striper reports?

4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  TreednNC 
#1 ·
are there any more striper reports lately?

#2 ·
Some were caught on n end,but were caught off the beach.. One good thing though,only 300yrds off beach and bait was around... Prior to that,all I had heard with numbers was n of line.. So,hopefully some will be there on shore when and if conditions get right... Right now,pretty dismal for stripers.. One guy caught a 5 and three quarter lb trout near Hatteras Inlet yesterday though...

#11 ·
Well

The guys are still catchin' 40 lb. fish in the bay and around rudee inlet. They haven't moved up the bay at all because of this warm weather; it was 75 today and their calling to it to be just as warm wensday. When it drops next week, ya'll see them:D

#13 ·
The guys are still catchin' 40 lb. fish in the bay and around rudee inlet. They haven't moved up the bay at all because of this warm weather; it was 75 today and their calling to it to be just as warm wensday. When it drops next week, ya'll see them:D
We had a big blow last week and have only seen them inch down a bit, so I'm not holding my breath!

Woodduck - were you trout fishing up there? any action?

#16 ·
That was an interesting video CDog. I don't imagine those fish were that far off-shore... ;)

#19 ·
Clay you're right it's a wild way to fish!! I remember when you could drive the beach at Little Island and you'd see that all the time. I was lucky enough to be invited once to do that in Corolla, beach launch with the ocean going dory that's got the outboard in the well on the bow loaded 'backwards' on the trailer for the surf launch, what a blast. That day we wound up with hundreds of pounds of yeller-bellies that were cooked up for a fall festival at church the next day. I'd love to do it again!!

#21 ·
How far off the beach do those nets reach? Alot of those looked to be in casting distance. I agree with DHL I feel atleast a suicide run coming on.:fishing::beer::popcorn:

#22 ·
The one I saw down at HI went out about 250-300yrds off the beach. They were not as successful as the one in the video.Although they did sell us some real fresh bunker.

BTW not to rain on your parade and not downing the netters as they are just trying to make a living, but with the fact that they had not reached their quota and found a school,it is very possible they got the whole school. I was told by a friend that this happened down at HI one year. Went from catching stripers to nothing in one day.

#27 ·
You know seeing the video gets everyone jacked up and start bashing comms(not here but on another board).Sure I guess its shocking to some but get a grip these guys had 3 days and are trying to make a living.If someone went walking around one of the Inlet marina's either here in Va or at OI and videoed all the charter boats unloading limits of stripers for their rec anglers and then all the private rec boats unloading their catches of stripers it would make the haul in that video seem small. But I wonder how many recs would be appalled by that site???

#30 ·
you think after watching that it would be easy to catch striper from the beach.as warm as its been makes me want to start fishing for em at night,i here striper get closer to shorer at night then as the sun rises they seek deeper water,then again i heard it all.

#32 ·
And the numbers show coms are a drop in the bucket compaired to what recs take every yr...

This guy caught about 300 fish.. Think about it.. The number of anglers and boats coming out of Rudee or OI in a day.. On a good day,and there are many, 2 per person adds up...
Not only that think of charter boats taking 6 out.. With captian and mate it adds up to 8.. Many a day they come back with a limit.. That adds up to 16 per trip.... That's not including what is taken from the beach... This isn't opinion,it's fact... If this is too much stress on these fish then DMF needs to get a move on,jmho.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.