Pier and Surf Forum banner

Any decent fishing at Holden Beach?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  boomer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience fishing Holden? I will be going down in a couple of weeks and plan to do some surf fishing. This is my first time at Holden. What (if anything) can I expect to catch there at this time of year?

And are there other options besides just surf fishing from the beach? I don't have a boat, but love to explore/fish tidal creeks and marsh areas if they are accessible by foot. Is there anywhere to get on the creeks by foot and do some fishing?

Any piers, docks, bridges, inlets, jetties, etc. with decent fishing? I'm open to suggestions for any good spots that don't require a boat.

Thank you!

#2 ·
We usually fish the point at the East end of the beach. Just turn left off of the bridge and go to the end. There's a large public parking lot there and lots of beach out there, you can walk all the way around to the ICW side if you like around the point. There are some nice sandbars and shallow channels off the point at low tide. Pompano and Spot usually show up around this time of year, and there's always whiting in the surf. Bluefish are everywhere this time of year too.

Otherwise, there is a fishing pier about a mile down the island going right from the bridge. It's a decent pier, I practically lived around and on it in the summers growing up. Prices are reasonable. Just under the ICW bridge is a public fishing pier (must have coastal fishing license, just like the surf) where you can fish the ICW side. I've seen some decent fishing there but you have to be careful not to get snagged on the bottom.

#14 ·
Went for a walk yesterday to see how it was. I went as far as the last house on the east end. Beach wasn't torn up at all. Everything was fine. Water was brown and fishing was slow from the couple people I talked to. Still pumping water from a couple low places over the dunes, but no problems getting access. Still some water as well to the west, but I'm sure it'll be fine by the weekend.

hope that helps
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.