Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Haven't you heard that there is a pierand surf code of silence about the Choptank? I post a question like yours every month or so and get one or two responses, at best. Odd since that pier is bigger than all the other MD/DE piers put together.

I haven't been there in about a month myself, and got almost skunked that day. The time before that I caught a dozen respectable bluefish. I have heard some suggestions that the fish should start hitting there soon, but no indication it's started yet.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I was there last Friday night on the Cambridge side for few hours and the outgoing tide had schoolies chasing baitfish. I trried various artificials with few hits and no hookup. This is a good time to throw lures (tandem lures on 1/2 jig with various plastics).

·
Registered
689 Posts
The reason there is no response, is simple--no one has been there except the sea gulls. No one has been there, cause it has not been productive. I was there several weeks ago, before the blues left, and it was real tough trying to find rock, livelining. The lights are on at nite and day. But no one has been there.

A truly weird season for the Choptank...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I have asked this before but when jig fishing I just basically toss the jig in the water with some gulp on it and do I slowly reel in or try to bounce it- any help would be greatly appreciated- I'll buy yall a beer hahahahaha

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I learned this from one of the members here. The method is tying a tandem rig (tie 2 jig heads on opposite end of about 2feet of mono. Then tie a loop near the middle with 1 jig lower than the other. Tie tha main line onto the loop.

The plastic can vary, but I used a glo-tail shad (white body and chartreuse colored tail). You can try twister, bass assasin, etc..

Work the pillons by casting it sideways, let it hit bottom and retrieve it slowly. Do this repeatedly and if no bites, walk up and so on. They usually hit near the shadow line. Of course it's best when the water is moving. If that doesn't work, try other lures like storms, rattle trap, bucktail, etc.. but do try various spots (the hunt) and you may find them. Last friday, I walked onto the front and found them busting out of the surface, but just wasn't my night as they took few hits said "no thanks".

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
A small piece of bait , real or fake BW, on the hook point can help. They hit it and taste food they'll hold on a bit longer........

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Super skunk at choptank- tuesday

Spent all morning and after noon at choptank- not a nibble or anyting- on any bait- peelers- bloodworms- cut bait- however caught alot of white perch and spot at matapeake on the way home- caught some schoolies pulled up

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
everyone from what I can see were catching baitfish all along the top part of the pier facing the bay- i saw guys netting and catching alewives too- I caught something on every cast of bloodworm but the white perch far outnumbered the spot- 4 to 1- i saw one fellow catch a monster alewive on a blood worm

·
Registered
546 Posts
Granted, I haven't had the opportunity to fish the Choptank bridge yet (2009 will be my first year) but I pass it regularly and been walking/scouting/researching...did again today with resources in hand. Hardly ever see anyone there...lights are on but no one is home.

I don't believe for one second that there are no fish to catch.
10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish
10% of the water holds 90% of the fish
Location, location, location.

Sure, fish the pilings for opportunistic fish here and there for the casual angler but thats not the way I fish. One area of the bridge and river topography has caught my attention I never see anyone fishing it.

I'll fish this particular area with my rod spread in 2009 to satisfy my curiosity.
And because I'm tired of hearing everyone whine about no fish in the Choptank.:D Yea, I'm an optimistic SOB:D:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Granted, I haven't had the opportunity to fish the Choptank bridge yet (2009 will be my first year) but I pass it regularly and been walking/scouting/researching...did again today with resources in hand. Hardly ever see anyone there...lights are on but no one is home.

I don't believe for one second that there are no fish to catch.
10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish
10% of the water holds 90% of the fish
Location, location, location.

Sure, fish the pilings for opportunistic fish here and there for the casual angler but thats not the way I fish. One area of the bridge and river topography has caught my attention I never see anyone fishing it.

I'll fish this particular area with my rod spread in 2009 to satisfy my curiosity.
And because I'm tired of hearing everyone whine about no fish in the Choptank.:D Yea, I'm an optimistic SOB:D:D:rolleyes:

next year i will fish on the side where there arent any lites on.will have all my gear so it wont be no excuse about it bein too dark!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts