Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the consensus is that it is too early for the Choptank pier, but since it's my favorite, I am curious if anyone has heard any reports? Also, I'm guessing that the fishing will not get hot there until particularly late in the year this year because of all the rain, and thus the sailinity of the river will be real low. Or is that really the issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been there on the 19th (When the Stripper season open.) Was there with 2 buddies at around 11AM. Surprising nobody was on the pier. The only thing we caught was weakfish on squid. Later on in the day people start showing up. Some caught stripper on bloodworm, unfortunately, it wasn't us. :mad: But overall it was a fun day for me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rumor has it that the white perch and some croakers are being caught on bloodworms.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Did someone mention the 'Tank? Should be white perch and catfish hitting right now. Try getting a container of crab aprons from Kools for catfish bait. Perch fillets will work, too.

I recently received a ten year old collection of Fisherman Magazine articles on the Chesapeake Bay area. Interestingly enough, a couple of the articles mention fishing for spotted seatrout in the Choptank and Honga Rivers in the Spring. Seems back then rock were scarce (remember the moratorium?), and a lot of guys turned to other species. Spotted trout were pretty popular, and the "weakies" caught off the bridge/pier may have been spotted trout.

There are also articles on red and black drum, and lots of articles on big blues that seemed to fill the void left by the depleted rockfish. Interesting reading, if only from an anecdotal standpoint...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I caught a 4.08lb Speck years ago in a creek around Crisfield while my dad and his buddy were catching White Perch.It was caught on some Bass Assasin looking thing.It still could of been a Weakfish;eventhough they have Specks down there too along with Puppy Drum.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I think we got us a lot of Sandbaggers! Last Saturday I counted over 30 people fishing the pier when I returned from Crisfield. Lots of rods out in the water - yet no posts on what's happening at the Tank. Come on - start posting... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesterday(May 1) I was there with my friend. I saw several people fishing too. Everyone got thier limit of croker. I also caught a lot of crocker but only keep 5. I caught two rocks(17 inch) and bunch of perches(I released all of them). bloodworm. Hand tying Hi-Lo righ.
We fished from 8:00 to 11:00 PM. The people there from earlier told me that day fishing was also good as night fishing.
Every year, I think this is the one of best time in choptank. Many people overlook this place in this season. So you can fish any spot you want, no tangle, calm and planty of parking space, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HaPPyPapPy832443 I catch Strippers on dollar bills, Just Joking.A weakfish was caught down there;Thats amazing.What did it look like,any size.
Well, we caught something. But fish looks more like weakfish than any other fish. I have to post the picture. The size is around 12 to 15 inch.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I wonder if the Bay is real salty one year and we catch things like Red Drum.If's rainy the next year will they come to the same place? :confused: .It would be nice to catch Redfish at Kent Narrows,Choptank,or Sandy Point.It would be even better if the Choptank could have Weakies and Flounder this time of year too?Could it be possible?
:confused:

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
wow!All those fish and at low tide to boot. ;) I've never ran into them that good at the Tank. :confused: Wish I could get down there this weekend but SWMBO has other plans. :D

Catman. :)

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I think Kools is a bait shop off of Route 50 going to OC or AI.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings BigWillJ!

Kool's is a seafood store in Cambridge, just off Rt 50 not too far from English's (big red roof.) That's where I get my fresh spot for cut bait fishing (so I can save the live one's for livelining!) I don't have an exact addrress or even a telephone number, but you could get both online from the MD yellowpages.

Yo Sandcrab! You're probably thinking of Tommy's, a B&T on RT 50 in Cambridge not far from the bridge. That's where I get my bloodworms (for catching live spot) if Shore Sportsman on Rt 50 in Easton is out. I'd have to rate Shore Sportsman as the better B&T.

Most Choptank fishermen are pretty tight-lipped when the fishing is good. Once the word gets out, that mile of pier on the Cambridge side fills up pretty quick, especially at night on the weekend. We usually arrive at 3:00 PM to get our spot for the night....

Yo HaPPyPapPy832443! Salinity has a lot to do with what you catch where. During last year's drought, the "salt line" moved pretty far up the bay, and saltwater species were being caught in places they wouldn't normally show. Each species salinity requirements vary, and tolerance within species can vary according to age. Young fish will tolerate "sweetwater" better than older fish, so you catch small blues at the 'Tank, but rarely anything over four pounds. Weakies and croakers are members of the drum family, which can tolerate freshwater for extensive periods (there are freshwater drum species, too!)

The main reason the salt line is important to young fish is the variety of food available. They can sample forage from both worlds. This is why estuaries are so important as fish nurseries...

So to answer your question, you might catch the same species this year, but they will probably average smaller. But nothing is written in stone!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I FISHED THE TANK ON 5-4-03 AFTER I WAS SKUNKED A SPSP I CAUGHT A 10 INCH WHITE PERCH AND A THORW BACK BABY ROCK.
I SAW SEVRAL ROCK CAUGHT BUT THEY WERE ALL SMALLER THAT 15 INCHES. CROAKER AND CATFISH WERE ALSO CAUGHT. MOST PEPOLE WERE USING BLOODWORMS OR SQUID. I ONLY FISHED FROM 4:00 TO 6:00 PM. FISHED IN THE CHANNEL. ONE GUY LOST A MONSTER ROCK ON HALF AN ALEWIFE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I caught about 6 nice size croakers at the Tank on sat. They were catching them all over the place. People are just being hush, hush about it. I also caught five or six Rock Fish. The largest was about 18inches. Check it out for yourself. I was there from about 2:00 to 7:00pm. :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
hmm...I'm planning on an all nighter this friday night to saturday. I am considering the tank and point lookout.
I like the idea of the tank, cause I can leave all the big surf stuff behind and just fish my 7', 9', and my 7' livelining setup.

Where would you go if you had the choice and they were about the same distance away?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey Husky,

Let me know where you are headed and i will grab my pops and we will meet you there. I have never fished the Tank before but i think it would be great to try it out. I was planning on hitting one of the old spots but i think im going to venture out a little further.

MC

"Remember,the further you cast the longer it take to bring the big ones in." ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts