Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been getting ready for cobia i know it is early but i can't wait, i've got my reels spooled up, and i got all my tackle ready. i got two new custom rods made up and one new reel, and i'm ready to put one on the deck. and to all the cobia fisherman what type of hooks to ya'll prefer, i use owner, ssw, 8/0. anyway hollar at ya'll later

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Hey runner, how's Staunton? Haven't been back since I left for good in January. Kinda miss it. Lake Tams is a good spot for heaver practice, kill any ducks yet? :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, emanuel, staunton's fine the same as always. i haven't been practicing yet with my heaver but it won't be long, i put a now reel on it. and no have't got any ducks, yet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man... I'm anxious for the Trout bite any day now, I can't even think of a Cobia bite over a month away... pure torture for the poor guy ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have to tell someone on this board. I am going to St. Croix U.S.V.I to see my mom the last week of August. I am looking around to go offshore to the Puerto Rican trench for marlin. I've never had the chance. I've been skunked so many times in the last two years, spent so much money. Spent cold nights in my truck, froze through rain at Seagull pier. My wife doesn't even ask anymore. I've stood at Oregon Inlet while dozens of huge striper were landed all around me. I spent the day with schools of shad racing around my feet without catching one. Anyway, I might just even the score in two weeks. The only cobia I ever caught popped off when my brother-in-law tried to boat it, and I still dream of it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Fishwagon,

If you get a chance, fish the downtown lagoon (Condado area) for the mighty tarpon. They can go over 100 pounds!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Talk to me sandcrab. Around Christiansted? I don't recognize the name Condado. I was thinking outside the Salt river refuge, or south shore. I can't find any of this stuff out online. What about peermit and bonefish. I've been thinking of getting a guide just to figure out where they are.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just found out youre talking about Puerto Rico. I was going to take a boat to the Puerto Rican trench, It runs past Cuba,P.R., And St.Thomas. It's the deepest part of the Atlantic (12,000+ft.) and it's only a few miles off land. Cuban fisherman literaly used to row out to it and hand line tuna, marlin, swords etc. They would tie them off and ride em out unless they thought the boat would get ripped to peices.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
And the Cuban fishermen inspired "Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway. Y'all should read it sometime, very good fishing story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts