Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently passed away, and I was up at my folks house last weekend to pick up his fishing equipment. He had some very old rods and reels, and I would like to know where I could go to get them appraised. Mind you, I'm not interested in selling them, because they have too much sentimental value. Some reels date back to the late 30s. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

OtrBnks Man

·
Registered
78 Posts
i don't know any "professional" appraisers, but i do know 1 or 2 guys who really know tackle, old or new--if you want, i can give you their numbers...also, i'm absolutely sure there are many guys on this board who could tell you what the tackle is worth--what kind of stuff do you have?

sorry for your loss

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are tackle value guides published all the time. Just go to Ebay and type in "fishing tackle" and you will see many examples. Get a title and go to Barnes and Knoble. They might not have them in stock but will order what you need.

Hey, by the way, did you ever get my PMs and E-mail?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The trouble with published "book" prices is that they are obsolete by the time they're printed.

If You're not selling Your Dad's tackle, then what You probably need is something more like an insurance appraisal.

To arrive at that sort of figure, I usually take "fair market value" (eBay) times 2.

If You have specific questions about Penn or Pflueger (4 Brothers), or about split (Tonkin) cane rods, I'm Your man.

Feel free to PM or E-mail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts