Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, another year has passed and while fishing season continues for many (especially those further south) quite a few of us have packed our gear up for the season and are resigned to watching fishing shows and cleaning our reels.

Every new year I ask all the board members to make suggestions for how I can improve this site in the upcoming year. Many of the features on here now (like the photo gallery and distance casting board) came from reader suggestions.

So let's hear it: What can I do in 2003 to make this a better site?

And thanks to all of you for your reports, senses of humor and fishing know-how. I think I'll get busy archiving the best of this year's posts and cleaning the boards up. Let me know if there are any particular threads you'd like saved, because most will be deleted.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Happy New Year sand flea

I haven't been on board long enough to know where P&S "was" when it first began. Where it is "now" seems very much user friendly. There's basically something for everyone.

Suggestions:

1) Allow the Boating Board to remain "as is."

2) Do consider a "recipes section" addition. I believe that would be a big plus. At least on a trial basis. Once the full season is back in swing.

3) What about the possibility of a "bragging rights" opportunity for anglers. Maybe posting a "pic of the week or month" link so that many of us non picture posting members may get a bit of incentive to post our catches on a more frequent, than was done last year, basis.

And finally,

4) Maybe implement an "on alert" system so that inconsiderate/childish/rude/etc...members that are at risk of being booted will get the message. Maybe an "amber" color icon as a "warning" whenever they have crossed the line, then if they continue to cross the line after that first warning maybe a "red" icon to let all members be aware of their temporarily banned status, and finally a "green" icon as notification of the return of a member who, after having all privileges restored, chooses to come back to the group. Possibly locating any such icon next to an individual's name or in the area where the profile, e-mail, private message, edit post icons are located.
And of course only allowing the green light to remain for a week or so, so as not to have a permanent mark placed upon that person. After all, we all make mistakes. It's the lessons we learn from those mistakes that allow us to hold our heads up high and not have to carry around that familiar, I Used To Be a "J-A**", sign.

This could avoid the "tug of war" you would possibly encounter from any "about to be put on notice" individual. No begging, pleading, spineless behavior, etc...at least not for all to see. And as you so plainly put it, silence is the best teacher. Nothing else need be said.

Now what else could I add. Well I'll leave it at where it is for now. I'm sure you'll have many other suggestions. Just wanted to get mine in there. :D

I'm enjoying what there is offered from the boards. I will be a contributor in more ways than one this year. :)

Thanks for the hard work you have put into developing and maintaining Pier and Surf.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
sand flea

I have one quick question. I have noticed that , at least about an hour ago, there were 1589 registered members. And at the same time the latest member was assigned #1610.
Does that mean there have been 21 individuals removed from the boards? And if so, did their removals come about because of being permanently banned?

Just part of a last minute New Year's Resolution on my part. I will be putting forth an effort to ask many more questions than I did last year. You should probably get back to deleting some of the prior posts right about now so there will be plenty of posting space available for me to use. :D

Oh-----can you do something about that green grin. Just to make it fare to all because not all of us still have our originals. ;) Maybe put a star or something on one of those teeth. Or raise that bottom lip.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea Im with thrifty on the recipe thing
The pic of the week or month is good, I need the motivation to try to figure out how to post a pic(no scanner or digital camera)
I like everything as is on p&s

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Flea,

Some ideas:

1. HOT SPOTS - The "Hot Spots" information would be worth its weight in gold if it were to include other information about the spots such as lure selection, bait, type of rigs used to catch fish, etc. Input from users would provide this information.

2. WEEKLY FISHING REPORT - Each forum should have a weekly fishing report. Some forums do and some do not. This would enable all the fisherpersons to get a quick review of what's hot and what's not. I think the Forum Leader should have the con on this one.

3. FISHING SPOT OF THE MONTH - I think that a review on a fishing spot (any state -What to use, how to catch fish for this area, and what species are active) would be really informative to everyone. Take turns with different forums posting this. Maybe the Forum Leaders could provide the input to you for the "Final Approval'.

4. MARYLAND/DELAWARE - I think we have enough people supporting this forum to split it into two forums - MD and DE. This will allow the MD forum to concentrate on the Chesapeake Bay and AI, and allow the Delaware forum to concentrate on IRI, 3R's and the Delaware coast. Might bring new interest to those MD anglers who are thinking about trying the DE areas.

5. ANGLER OF THE MONTH - Maybe an "interview type" article with photos of an angler and fish and their fishing story and info. This could be posted with the Photo Gallery photos. Maybe this would encourage more people to get out there and fish. ;)

6. FOR SALE FORUM - A forum listing non-commercial items for sale by the users.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sand flea

Thanks for remembering us down here. :D

The 'Bucket introduced me to P&S and I'm definately impressed!!
I've checked out some of the FLA sites and, other than some flashy graphics and sounds,It's not there!!!
Thrifty Angler and Sandcrab have some excellent idea's!
Would really like to see some recipes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
New Year Greetings,
Great idea concerning a "for sale" spot. Also, any chance of a Georgia board? They have a alot to offer when dealing with redfish (drum) techniques.

Soapfish

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ideas folks! Keep 'em coming. A few thoughts thus far:

--Keep in mind that this is not my day job. I'd love to spend a huge amount of money and time on this site but that simply isn't possible unless there's some wealthy venture capitalist out there with a big wallet and poor judgment :p. So any ideas will have to be reasonably low maintenance.

--I like the recipes idea. Would you guys (and chicks) rather have a board to trade recipes or should I do it up in a more formal and organized style, a la Hot Spots?

--The photo of the week thing could be cool, but I don't always get enough photos to be able to do that. The photo galleries are still pretty small--it'd be tough to find enough photos to do this with (hint hint--send in more pics!)

--Dealing with trolls. I don't know that I need to adopt the Homeland Security model for booting idiots :p If someone is being a pain and causing trouble, I write them privately and tell them to knock it off. Then I do it publicly. Sometimes I tell people to beat it for a few weeks. And finally, I ban a few folks. I don't really need to formalize the process because, honestly, it's just two or three folks that cause all the trouble. There are several people on here who have behaved badly at times and shaped up to become good posters (you know who you are :D ) In the end, I prefer to deal with these things on a personal basis. This is not a corporate site--I'm just a guy who likes to surf fish and prefer to keep things personal, including grudges.

Thrifty, as a side note, you're right--the disparity between numbers of registered users and recent registrations is because of banned users. That's not that I've banned that many people--it's probably been fewer than five over the 3 years this site's been up--but that trolls tend to use multiple user IDs and I have to dump them all.

--Hot Spots. I've actually considered putting these things into print and beefing them up this winter. I'm talking to publishers in the next few months and I'll keep you all updated. Thing is about lures and techniques, they're more specific to species than locations (e.g. catching a striper at IRI is a lot like catching a striper at Oregon Inlet).

--Weekly fishing reports. I'll leave that to you guys on each of the state's boards. Maybe with a little prodding along the way...after all, you're the ones who are on the water in your individual regions. You, the readers, are best prepared to say what's going on.

--Rotating a focus on regional Hot Spots profiles. I like this idea. Keep a fire under my behind and I'll figure out a way to get this done. Maybe I'll put it in the box on the right hand side of the homepage.

--Splitting Md./De. I'll do it tonight if the Md./De. boys want it that way. Put up a post on that board and see how everyone feels. If that's what everyone wants, that's what they'll get.

--Angler of the month is a great idea. It's a go. I'll start work immediately. Please send me your nominations.

--For sale forum. I've tried this several times in the past but it died on the vine. Most people who have stuff to sell put it on the Open Forum. But I'm willing to consider it if you guys really want it.

All in all, great ideas. We'll work together to hash out what's doable and what's not. I look forward to blabbing with all of you online and fishing with many of you in '03.

sf

·
Registered
315 Posts
My suggestion/request would be to archive stuff 13/14 months instead of 12.

I was looking for posts from this time last year and would have liked to see that extra 30 days of posts.

I think it would have been helpful since the fall was colder this year.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
sand flea Got some time on your hands . Well here I go.
A comment on the recipes idea. I believe a more formal set up would work best. By category is more user friendly. I have seen forums/message boards that require you to read thru tons of info to find the right recipe. And not to mention quite a lot of unnecessary wording. This of course if it won't require too much time. Maybe having recipes be submitted by anglers in some type of format. Can't say what that would be. I'm still trying to line up my poetry and what not. I'd probably submit mine from a scanner after compiling it on a regular typewriter. :eek:

I must admit I have been leaving the tv on too much at night. I must be programmed with that homeland security what not mentality. I have to admit that was a bad idea. But to save face, "I do believe it came to me in a dream." ;)

I have read the info that states board members are not rated. In keeping with this would it be reasonable to say the rights to be deemed angler of the month would be decided by you or would it cross over into one of those, "we, the board members, vote for an angler from a group of submitted candidates?" How would those submissions be compiled? Would it be based on a written submission direct to you or based on readings from posts for that month?
Would the degree of difficulty or circumstances in which an angler caught a fish also be used in the qualifying/decision making process?

The photo of the week/month idea basically was a though based on what I believe it might take to get more photo submissions. Just that possible nudge is how I saw it as well.

You did say you were making more room? Hope I didn't fill in the blank spaces too much.

One note: I just reread your request for nominations for angler of the month. But I will leave my post as is in that reference I made to the "how will" where nominations are concerned.

Give me a bit more time to work on suggestions of threads that I would like to see remain.

Hope this didn't put you to sleep. I gotta keep at that Resolution thing though. At least make it thru the first day of the New Year. :D :D :D

Thanks sand flea!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I suggest that "Angler of the Month" have NOTHING to do with skill, expertise, or the catching of a huge fish. Just an in depth interview with that person (should have a fish photo to show) telling what fish they like to target, where they like to fish, and what they use for bait. A simple photo with one paragraph should suffice. A down-to-earth interview with the "fisherperson". Did not mean for it to be a "monthly contest" (I don't do tournaments. ;)

TA - Really like the recipe idea. I'm always in the market for new ways to cook fish. :)

I think more people need to go to WalMart and get the $50 digital camera they have for sale there. :) Its called the Vivitar Vivicam 10. Excellent for the price AND you get to share your photos with us!
;)

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Sandcrab

I might just have to go get myself one of those cameras. The old one I have is non functioning. I did buy one as a gift to myself for Xmas. But at the last minute I chose to give it to someone else. It was the thought that counted. I try to keep that in mind when I look at the receipt of my "almost had" camera. Over $200. Ouch!!!! I'm crying now. I'll miss those megapixels. :(

You submitted quite a few great suggestions. I am in total agreement with not having a contest of sorts. That kind of thing could bring all sorts of trouble. Much like the problem in the Lesner Bridge area. Too many outsiders looking in.
Did that make sense? I go into shut down after 8 p.m. I'll probably clarify that tomorrow.

BTW: I did finally get around to preparing that spadefish. Not on the grill unfortunately. I got too busy with last minute holiday stuff. I chose the oven instead. It's good that I didn't have to worry about the neighborhood cats. It's bad that it almost took years off of the household cats. Pesky things. Must have been that unfamiliar smell of fish other than croaker, spot, perch. :rolleyes:
I guess they didn't know how to behave. They don't know how close they came to becoming outside cats.

It turned out ok. I believe that's the first time I ever cooked a large fish that was more body than head. Kinda like croaker withdrawal for me. But the size of that cavity in the spadefish. I coulda put in a cornish hen along with the stuffing. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like the recipe idea. Also I like the idea for hot spots. Maybe a how-to catch species option. Like a drop menu with all the names of species then you choose one and it tells you where the best places are for them and a short description of fishing methods.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ok I already posted this on the va board, cause I didnt remember it was on the open forum, but I think it would be helpful to have a section for all the links that are posted, like links to cams, info, regs, cool sites etc. cause they can be hard to find wheen you need them later

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think we need to include more tips on the How -To section;For example sections for more spicies that tell more about them then the water temps they prefer.We need to have techneques,habitat,and fishes behavior for each perticular spices of fish.

Another thing we need to do is try new spots and try to include them in the Hot Spots list.I like the idea of including tatics to catch fish at the Hot Spots.

About the splitting Md/Del up I don't know on that one;it might be agood idea. :confused:

All the other ideas people includeded sound good.The fishing reports is up to us; I'm going to tell you how I did at a fishin hole wether its good or bad;just to influence your decisions. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Happy New Year all and just giving my 2 cents all the ideas are good but a tip of the week would be a nice think to have other than that Sandflea you are doing a great job and it been a blessing that I have found this site.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts