Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am a new subscriber to this forum although i have been lurking off and on and reading most of the posts. I am new to surf fishing and have been trying to grasp as much as i can before i ask a question. After a little research i have decided on the following surf fishing rod/reel/line combination:

Okuma Solaris 10' Rod
TICA Scepter SE Series Dolphin Reel (SE10000)
Power Pro 65 Lb 300 Yard line

I plan to fish primarily from SPSP and will start going there in the near future. I wil appreciate if you guys can provide comments on this rod/reel combo i have decided on.

Another question i have is that with the Power Pro do you guys use Power Pro for making the Rigs also or do you use monofilament ?

Thanks
D_S

P.S: There is nothing devilish about me; the name sounded cool though ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
GO with the 12' solaris, you will love it. Power pro is supposed to be great for distance and I am actually spooling my two reels tomorrow with 65#. Use mono for the rigs since if you get a snag it is easy to break.

By the way welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks reddog1. Is it feasible to cast lures with the 12' ? If it is then i will go with the 12'. What test rating mono will you be using with your 65# power pro?

D_S

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am not sure about lures and such, other people would have a better understanding. I think though for lures you do want a smaller pole and lower test line then you are thinking. Bait fishing and lure fishing are two different types of fishing. It is not a bad idea to think about having two different pole. One for lures and one for live bait.

The mono I usually use is 30# of homemade rigs. I often buy the premade ones at walmat made with wire and I tie the hooks (only circle hooks) with 30# as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually DS
Now that I am thinking of it as far as reels are concerned you might want to look at the Diawa Emblem X-T reel. I have that and a penn and the diawa is so easy to cast and to reel in. The price seems to comparable.

www.digitaldagger.com

·
Registered
905 Posts
i agree with reddog...i would go for the 12', less bulky then a 15' and get more distance than the 10'....perfect for me at least. i have the tica scepter 9000 and i like it....i would assume that the dolphin scepter 10000 is even better. if you're looking for a less expensive reel....basspro shops at arundel mills, has a similar reel (comparable to the dolphin and diawa emblem series) that costs $69.99. my friend bought it, and it feels decent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the Daiwa but the Digitaldagger people recommended the TICA as it has 13 Ball Bearings and the guy said it was the smoothest of reels he had ever used. Has anyone tried the TICA SE Dolphin series ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Those guys are pretty honest and if they recommended it then it must be good. I will be gealous because I only have 5 ball bearings :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts