Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ok, they all have their trade-offs, and there are as many variations of "best one" as their are surf-fisherpeople, but here's one I thought I'd share since it seems a bit less common in my wanderings on the subject....

http://www.pakula.com.au/62slimbeauty.htm

Looks to me like a double-overhand in the leader with a clinch in the running. More or less.... Maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
797 Posts
toomuch spare time

jedi, i love what you are doing in your spare time. thanks for the info.

ralph

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I've used a variation on that knot for a few years. Instead of the looped line on the back of that figure 8, I use a uniknot. But I'm going to have to try this. Looks very strong and very slim.

Good find!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Shocker knot

Tied the knot today hitching up 17 lb triline with 50lb shock. It is easy to tie, and makes a small knot in the line. It is similiar to the albright, but a lit easier to tie. Thanks Jedi for the research...saltshaker

·
Registered
290 Posts
jedi_angler
Thanks for posting the knot info.
I was wondering if anyone has tried a “blob” knot. This is where you hold a flame to the tip of the leader causing it to melt into a blob at the tip of the line. You then tie a clinch knot with the main line. The knot feels strong but I have never had the nerve to try casting with it

·
Registered
904 Posts
blob knot

The blob comes off, or at least that was the experience I had with it. I tied the one Jedi posted and it to broke off at the knot. Tied it two or three time, copied the instructions etc...still broke off at the line side to the knot. Tied an albright, and found it just a little stronger.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Blob (the knot not the movie)

I seen a few tournament casters use the blob successfully during tournaments and practice. It makes a very small knot. I would use it on the casting court but not to fight fish.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well so much for the blob.

The other question I had: what is your favorite shock leader? I have been using Stren mono 60# test and find it about as knotable as a garden hose. I’d like to find some 60# test that is more pliable. Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts