Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope ya'll aren't tired of all the newbie questions. Like I was wondering in another thread, How is the day time fishing 8am - 4pm? And where can we get tide reports for Choptank area? And what towns can I look at for motels?

Thanks
DG

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
WW,

I belive in fishing at night (Before midnight and after 5 AM) for striped bass. They come in to feed under the cloak of darkness.

Try fishing the jetties at SPSP after the sun goes down in the PM or after 5 AM. There is a lot of baitfish activity in the area during the Summer and this is when the stripers come in to feed. I think the blues at SPSP come in at first light and can be caught off the jetties with topwater plugs or metal/teaser rigs. They can also be caught during the daytime on cut bait.

Matapeake is a pier that I fish exclusively at night into the next morning. I usually leave the pier around 8 or 9 AM with my fish. The water is not that deep there and it gets hot real fast in the Summer which causes the fish to either find deeper water or seek shade/shelter.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I only have luck at SPSP from the beach in the day. Everywhere else, I only catch at night.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Husky,

Come over to the dark side! :eek: I know that deep down you are a "lure fisherman" Like Joey and me...Get out and cast those lures at night. ;) Backlash - smacklash! ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
All night long is the best at the Tank,but if you fish during the day try to make it the lower light hours of the day.Espesually early morning;I like to shake and bake too,jigs,jigs,jigs.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Are you my dad?
I like to throw lures much more than bait and sinkers.
One problem...never caught anything on the bay with a lure. NADA. Not a thing.

Please instruct.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Goddess...I love to fish at night, goes back to the days when I targeted catfish exclusively. Big cats are bigtime night feeders. When I started fishing the Tank it was always at night. Sometimes I'd do real well and other times so so but always caught something. Then I started fishing it in the day time with just about the same results. I made mental notes of the actual time the bite was strong and when it wasn't. I matched these times against a tide sheet and soon realized that the most productive time was during the ebb (out going) tide. It didn't make any difference whether it was day or night, the results were the same. So now I fish the tides and don't worry if it's night or day. Hope this answeres your question.

Catman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts