Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to run over to AI this weekend. I would like to avoid the cost of a off-road permit and fish in the state or federal park.

Anyone have any recommendations/experience on where to fish?

Any chance of catching a drum in these areas or do you need to be further south?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Right before the orv area there is a public beach access. It is a long haul to drag your stuff over the dune but you can fish it. Last year Axon and I caught puppy drum there so I suppose you could get into fish there. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I fished the same spot just before the orv ramp about 3 years ago and ran into a school of blues tearing up the finger mullet. Caught a 2 - 3 lb fish on almost every cast with Hopkins.

I have not fished any other public access areas on AI - that's why I was wondering if there are better spots.

If you caught puppies then that is a good sign!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I mean there is fish there. The orv spot is so special because it is not pressured. Obviously because you have to pay extra money to fish uninhabited land. If you can't spend the money and don't have the 4X4 that is the place to try.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Skeeter, as it is looking now, won't be to AI until anout 8:00 am to 9:00 am give or take, need good sleep Friday night to last through IRI thing and what time are you figureing on getting there? If you are at beach near ORV, what are you driving? Maybe we can meet up, through your gear into Jeep and hit as Jason so aptly stated "uninhabited land", except for the deer the infamous resident ponies, flies should be gone and DRUM, word has it have arrived.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey Shaggy what you doing next thursday night till sat morning? A bunch of us have the tog trip out of delaware but I should be free to do some AI fishing. Anthony will probably come too. What ya think?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FL FISHERMAN - Thanks again for the information.

Shaggy - Thanks for the invite. I am stuck with a couple of family events on Sturday that I seemed to have forgot.

I am planning to be on AI around 8:00 am Sunday morning - driving from Rockville, it is hard to get there much earlier....

I actually have a 4x4 Explorer - perfectly sutable for the orv area. My problem is that with my schedule, I am not sure how many times I can make it to AI this fall. I understand the permit is $70 with an additional $15 permit for the park. $85 seems like a lot to spend if I only make it down there once or twice. I have a friend that may be interested in getting a permit - can you "share" a permit between vehicles?

Since I am going by myself, it would be great to have someone to hang out with - are you going to be at AI on Sunday? If you have a cell phone, and they work on the island, I could give you a call when I arrive and to see if you want me to pick up supplies (more bait, rigs, drinks, food, etc.).

·
Registered
36 Posts
the orv permit is good for 1 year from date of purchase ; so if you get a permit this oct it is good till next oct . the pass is only good until the first of the year ; not worth buying this time of year unless you plan on going down more than 4 times . overall it isn't a bad deal; even if you only go down 4 times a year = less than $25. a trip .:)
derf
sorry but you can't share a permit

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Fl, off Sunday (IRI precommit) and Tuesday next week, so no go on the Thursday Saturday thing.

Skeeter, down early Saturday (have to try for the Drum at least once before they are gone until next year), and have a precommitment at IRI on Sunday.

AS for the cell phone thing, don't believe in them, much to the chagrin of my wife and the usual logic of Hat. I go there to get away, yes mostly alone, yes mostly overnighters, yes I know the risks, but how many seafaring folk have survived (and yes perished) in the past? I for one am usually over cautious (?) when it comes to my solo efforts on AI. I may be dumb, but I try not to be stupid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shaggy - I'll have to catch you next time. I will post a report of my trip.

Regarding the cell phone - good for you. Although I have a phone that I try to carry around as little as possible (usually leave it in the car), I try to minimize my conversations in public and while driving. There is nothing more obnoxious than someone swerving down the road on the phone or carrying on a conversation as if nobody is around in a restaurant, on the train, in a plane, etc.

Good luck Saturday!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Nope, but there is an idea I could live with. I'll have to check in on that (actually figured with cell phones, CB's were extinct).

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Go ahead and get

that pay as you go service we talked about. It's times like these you could use it & SHMBO will love you for it See ya Sunday.:)...Tightlines

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Long but nice day at AI, but skunked. Saw one small flounder caught and that was it. Highlight, helping to fellow fisherman get unstuck.

FL, schedule change. If you are up to it, get off midnight Thursday, and off Friday. Could be out of house between 4 and 5 am Friday at Ai between 6 and 7. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Where was the flounder caught? Out there in the surf? Too bad for the skunk. Hopefully we do better next friday if we go.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
How did it look when you were out there. Eroded real bad? Are the dunes still there?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Schweeeeeeetttttt!

Sand tender, but if ya stay on track no problem. Helped two 4x's out of ruts, but that's what it is all about.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I think you can chalk that up to inexperience. With the stuff they make you take you shouldn't have a problem. But hey thats me, some people just don't know how to drive their 4X4's.:rolleyes: Its always good to help a fellow fisherman out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So much for my Sunday AI report......I ended up staying at home with an emergency plumbing job and 15 trips to Home Depot.

I have found the trick to drving on the sand is to never stop. Makes it a little hard to fish, but if you don't stop, you won't get stuck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts