Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P&S Striper Contest to Determine December's Angler of the Month

(Passed this by Sandflea and he told me he likes the idea and to put it up on the board to see what the peanut gallery, ahh, members, think about this idea to determine December's Angler of the Month.)

December's Angler of the Month will be decided by the P&S board member who catches the biggest striper during the month of November.

Rules:
1. Largest (in length) wins.
2. Fish must be caught off a pier or surf.
3. Fish must be caught during the month of November.
4. A picture must be submitted. (SEE BELOW)
5. Angler must be a registered member prior to November 1.
6. Fish must be caught from the Atlantic seaboard - sorry, I know this is a virtual site but most of us anglers live here next to the Atlantic and it's tributaries.

No here's the fun part. Each entry will be emailed to (Sandflea will fill in the blank here) along with details on the measurements of the fish, when, where, lure/bait used, etc. This info will be kept a secret until the winner is decided by Sandflea. (Picture it like the weight-in at the final day at the BassMaster's Classic)
The December's Angler of the Month (the contest winner) will be posted the first part of December.

So give me your feedback, especially on the rules, on what you think of this idea to determine the Angler of the Month for December. Who knows, this could turn out to be an annual P&S event.

Photos - I know we're all adults and most of us act like it too. But there maybe some of us characters that may tend to "stretch the truth" a little when telling fishing stories. That's why a photo may be necessary for a valid entry. You don't need a digital camera either. Just buy one of those waterproof disposable cameras with a flash (cause you know the big boys are caught at night) and have the photo developed and put on a CD. It's a few bucks more but sure beats paying $300 for a camera.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Great idea. But it will be dang near impossable for me to catch a striper, even a baby one, down here in GA. Maybe pick a fish everyone has a shot at.

I absolutly like the concept.

·
Registered
634 Posts
so if i catch one in a boat and they dump me onshore to take a pic.. does that count? lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Splendid Idea

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think is will work so go let's go for it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sorry for the Typos Let's go for it is what I wanted to say that's what happens when you don't have your First coffee.

·
Registered
291 Posts
thats a good idea, might be hard for me because i think i only have 4 days to fish in november. I think after it sand flea should put all the pics up on the site in like a gallery called like striper or something.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
chest2head&glassy said:
P&S Striper Contest to Determine December's Angler of the Month

...6. Fish must be caught from the Atlantic seaboard - sorry, I know this is a virtual site but most of us anglers live here next to the Atlantic and it's tributaries....
If this leaves out all the fisherman who fish the Cheasapeake Bay, then I think it's not fair. Some people do not want to fish in the Ocean due to the long drive to fish there.

Please clarify whether or not the Cheasapeake Bay (and it's tributaries (i.e. Choptank, etc.) are part of the contest...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Please clarify whether or not the Cheasapeake Bay (and it's tributaries (i.e. Choptank, etc.) are part of the contest...
I need a Military waiver to fish the Yellow Sea or Sea of Japan and a different fish
:mad:

Chit if I could catch any fish here it would be a Miracle

:(

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, let me clarify. Yes, definately the Chesapeake Bay is part of the contest. I wanted it to say, the Atlantic, the Atlantic's bays and inlets and it's tributaries. (I'm trying to eliminate those monster stripers caught in some landlocked lakes like we have down here in VA like Lake Anna and Lake Gaston.)
Does wading in the bay count...like Gwynns Island?
Yes - that's considered 'surf'. I've caught my biggest cow off of Gwynn's, but was in a boat.
But it will be dang near impossable for me to catch a striper, even a baby one, down here in GA. Maybe pick a fish everyone has a shot at.
I don't think there is another fish that's available to most of the anglers on the board besides the striper this part of the year.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I think we need to toss in a different fish for the southern folks, maybe redfish? Or perhaps we should run the same contest in a different month for them?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about the biggest striper OR red drum (redfish for you Florida folks). They are both targeted in November, right? They are about the same size, right? (I had to look thru the past picture gallery because my largest drum was a yearling at best - 30" and my PR for striper off the beach was 28").

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That makes it fair for everyone now . Great Idea Sand flea.:D
You all have my vote . Now if I could only find that old PIC , or do we have to hold up the newspaper in the PIC. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
great idea...

for pictures, should we put like a bottle of corona or tape measure next to it to verify the size? I think you can play alot of games with photos, if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Could be fun. Especially if I remember my Camera.
Several different fish should apply
Stripers, Red Drum, Black Drum and Snook of course but really any exceptional catch should be allowed. The limit should be saltwater from the shore in any state that we have a forum.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
jangwuah said:
Penn 9500SS I think you can play alot of games with photos, if you know what I mean...

Sounds like a great idea.............

Hey jangwuah, wanna see what a 12 lb Spot looks like ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts