Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I prefer the 3 lb anchor for the creeks and slower water:

Notice how I've got the anchor line zip tied to the eyelet on the top of the anchor. This will enable you to recover your anchor if it get's snagged. The zip tie will break with enough force and the anchor will fold up allowing you to pull it up by the bottom end after freed from the snag:

I also use a small buoy tied to the anchor line bag so in the unlikely event you decide to investigate the bottom with you own eyes :eek:, the bag will float and you can recover it:

The 3 lb will not hold in heavy current on a sandy bottom.

Hope this helps.

Skunk

·
Registered
124 Posts
you might even think about rigging or buying some type of stake that you can stick in the ground for an anchor -- if your going to be fishing some skinny water.
about a 5 ft stainless rod is perfect -- hobie sells one that works well, but all you basically need is something that you can either clove hitch to or has some type of ring that you can 'biner to.
i use a five pound spike anchor unless there is no wind or current to speak of -- never had it pull, however i have gotten scared before and had to detach from it a time or two. be sure and put a float on it so you can recover it.

skunkape, that is a great idea with the zip tie

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
you might even think about rigging or buying some type of stake that you can stick in the ground for an anchor -- if your going to be fishing some skinny water.
yep, i use an old shovel hanldle that i smashed in the metal tip, works great, didnt cost me chit, and can bust through oysters. beats messing with an anchor when im only in 1' of water lol...

when it comes to anchor, i use a 3lb folding type, with 3' of chain in front of it, for deeper water. holds everytime. chain makes a big diff

jesse

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i use a 2.2lb claw anchor. it always holds
ditto... this is the best for sand, silt, soft bottoms in tidal creeks, etc. the folding anchor is decent, but get atleast 5lbs if you want to hold at all. Get atleast 50ft. of line if you want to hold in 20ft.+ and don't anchor in swells or currents without a trolley... and add a float to the end of the line so you can ditch your anchor and retrieve it if need be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Skunk,
Have you ever pulled hard enough to break the tie?
I can't see getting enough pull to break it while in a yak.
thanks,
nw

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Skunk,
Have you ever pulled hard enough to break the tie?
I can't see getting enough pull to break it while in a yak.
thanks,
nw
Yes, I've broke it before and recovered the anchor every time. It really doesn't take much when you've got leverage and there's 3 lbs of snagged lead on the other end.

Skunk

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
use light zip ties, I carry extra in a dry bag... if you're with a friend, stabilize the kayaks by putting them together and putting the paddles across the decks, pop the anchor line between the two kayaks... works like a champ.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Get a 5' cajun anchor. Works great - holds good - and no noise. Pulls up easy too. I have a couple 5' home-mades from 1/2" stainless and I wish I had them years ago. Use to use them on a 16' skiff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts