Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got everything ready for the upcoming Shad season. What-the-heck, the weather the last week was warmish... Went down to the cement wall and threw spoons for about 20 minutes.

Nut-N-Honey.

Yet...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Got everything ready for the upcoming Shad season. What-the-heck, the weather the last week was warmish... Went down to the cement wall and threw spoons for about 20 minutes.

Nut-N-Honey.

Yet...

was down at rocketts, still be a few weeks. lookin fwd to it as well

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Last I heard about Walker's Dam is that it's still dead as a doornail. I'd like to come up that way one day, but I don't know my way around for squat. Maybe one of you Richmond boys wouldn't mind getting up one day? Neil, Teo, Darren?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Last I heard about Walker's Dam is that it's still dead as a doornail. I'd like to come up that way one day, but I don't know my way around for squat. Maybe one of you Richmond boys wouldn't mind getting up one day? Neil, Teo, Darren?

any one of us would love to show you around.... pm me and i'll get your number and all that stuff

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Cool. I'll be in touch. Do y'all get a spring striper run as well? I usually get into them pretty good on the York River in the spring. I nkow they go up pretty far because I've caught them in the Barge Pits and the Enon bridge, but I don't know how much further upriver Ancarrow's is compared to there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
and crappie, white perch, smallmouth, bream will all be bycatch everyonce in a while shad fishing

Alright Well I am gonna ask dont usually cause I kinda like to fish and find spots for myself but ..... Where in Richmond Is the shad run? How far south does it run .What river does the run occur, James yeah?I am not asking anyone to spot drop but I do miss my shad runs in the Susquehanna River just below the dam.Anyone farmiliar you know where I mean .Grew up on that river fished shad every season till bout 12 years ago when I joined the navy . Been back for 1 run it was the beginning in march very early.So wasn't a whole lot going on . I know Everyone always talks about the dam in the city on like 13th street or something.5 hours for shad unless I am home just a little much . Heck maybe I can even meet up and meet some of ya. Looking forward to it.

lil' help

Dave

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Alright Well I am gonna ask dont usually cause I kinda like to fish and find spots for myself but ..... Where in Richmond Is the shad run? How far south does it run .What river does the run occur, James yeah?I am not asking anyone to spot drop but I do miss my shad runs in the Susquehanna River just below the dam.Anyone farmiliar you know where I mean .Grew up on that river fished shad every season till bout 12 years ago when I joined the navy . Been back for 1 run it was the beginning in march very early.So wasn't a whole lot going on . I know Everyone always talks about the dam in the city on like 13th street or something.5 hours for shad unless I am home just a little much . Heck maybe I can even meet up and meet some of ya. Looking forward to it.

lil' help

Dave

dave.... its all over. you can do it from basically anywhere in richmond area. the reason folks fish anncarrows, rocketts and 14th street is because thats where the fish stack up at the fall line. any of those three places are awesome to fish... they will all be crowded.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can Mapquest it and then do the aerial view. There is typically enough space to fish there other than "Prime Time" on the weekends.

One of those special places where people from all races and backgrounds mix, and all is smiles. Yeah, you do run into yahoos that have no clue what they are doing. Hee hee, all races and backgrounds again!

Light spinning gear. 6LB test, 1/2 to 1 OZ. in-line trolling style sinkers, flurocarbon leader, red bead, followed by shad spoons silver, gold, green, maybe a shad dart, or sabinki rigs w/ a 1 OZ bank sinker.

Psst... Here's a little secret... listen close...

THROW SOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When the run is on, it does NOT mean you have to mow the sea devoid of life! Anyone seen any Passenger Pigeons lately?

And here's 'nother little secret...

Have a valid fishing liscense. AND ya better be damn sure you know the difference between a legal Hickory shad, and an illegal American shad!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah I know what your talking bout dirty. My wife seems to outfish me alot and the beginers luck thing is wearing thin.
I dont keep fish And I do know the difference between a door mat and a hick or gizzy, so all I do is throw back .Do herring run up there? You can keep shad up there? Md you cant keep em. I remember when I was a kid my dad use to eat shad rowe. Never really liked it I guess that is the only part of the fish worth eating . Anyway looking forward to fishing there hope yall will keep us down here posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think I saw a dogwood in bloom today...

Last year the shad were so thick it was silly.

Good times indeed.

It is very cool to see the mix of folks fishing for shad, weird how an oily fish can do what years of all other measures cannot seem to do...get folks of different ages, colors and socioeconomic backgrounds side by side in Richmond, Va for one cause.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Saw a huge school of seagulls:) today just sitting opposite the wall at 2:07 pm. Didn't look like they were feeding, but I seem to remember this happening about the same time of the year last year, right before the fish started turning up. After the next flood they'll be there. Hopefully.
Dave, you'll have to prove or disprove the beating thing :). Praps we should set up a male vs female competition this year:fishing:

·
Registered
25 Posts
shad

I've seen the gulls also Darren. Sitting on the rocks. Looks like 60 degree days for next week. It want be long the shad will arrive. By the way, I'll be at the same fishing spot you were at tuesday evening. Look for me there saturday. Hopefully there won't be a crowd

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Girls -vs- guys...

Darren, we should do that. Mine would be up for it.

Er, what if we (guys) LOOSE!?! :redface: Here's an idea...

Oh honey... You forgot YOUR tackle box? Bummer, looks like you have to forfeit... Bwwwwhahaha!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Didn't know you were on here Cwood, good to hear from you. I might pop out Saturday night, don't know yet.
Sounds like a plan DaveB, Ill ask Charlotte if she's in, I don't expect there to be a problem. They have to tie their own tackle though, and down time tying up is still considered fishing time. Can we do this in the week sometime so there's less crowds?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.