Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got there around 10:30 AM, fished for cat's.....not much going on. Saw a snakehead under the pier......then another......5,6,7......too many to count! Hanging in the shade and every once in a while, coming up for air.

Finally started getting hits with a plastic worm with a treble hook.

Tangled with a few till I landed this one......

More to come in a couple days!!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for clarification.....It did NOT walk on land, it DIDN'T bite through my steel boot, it did not eat any dogs and I DID NOT TRY TO COLLECT $200.00!

LOL!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gave it to the guy who netted it. He spoke no English, but the gift of a fish speaks volumes in any language!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!! So, you want a fishing partner next time you go? I'd love to tangle with one of these........

Best Regards,
Stan
Stan, I'll be going this week again. It's not far so we drive sepretly. I'll coordinate with any of you guys that want to go. I'm no expert, but at least I know more about SH than Fox News!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing of note - these fish were all extremely large for what I am use to. A couple I saw could easily have gone 12 lbs. :eek:

Three or four could often be seen hanging together.

I thought these fish were carp at first because of how big they were! I did not notice until I took a good look and saw the shape of the head. These fish are not feeding much and are still holding their eggs. Once they push out them pups, look out. They will be SLAMMING lures.

The use of a small treble hook was quite successful. Very hard for them to throw the hook.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Pete,

Can you tell me where you caught the snakehead? I would love to catch some. If you know how to use google map. Go to the spot on the map. Right click on the spot and you can choose "what's here". That will give you the coordinates of the place. Can you please send me the coordinates? If you don't know how to use google map. Can you send me the name of the location?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still got your number, Cat.

Clean out your box, buddy!

I'll give you a call in a bit. Watching my kid......:fishing:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Almost none of these SH were small. Most, were, I would say 4-6 lbs with many MUCH bigger. One SH in particular was patrolling the open water, stopping to air-breath on occasion. It was like he was saying, yup......this is MY river. He looked like one scary SOB. Also, these guys did not take off when they saw humans, rather, they just submerged.

No one was seriously fishing for them. Very little pressure on this river, fishing wise. NO ONE bass boats, here.

Oh, yes, I did see some rather large bass spawning. One even mouthed my worm for a few.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete
How was the fight ?

welcome to the s/h catching gang !!!
I caught him right near the pier, he fought hard, but I was using heavy line. If I close my eyes I can still see snakeheads! There were so many that I lost count. I noticed that if I remained still, they would come around - they seem to only notice you when you are moving. When you move suddenly, they go away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
that's totally sick! fish that size, will go for a high price back home. :)

I like the people in this region turn a invasive fish into a sport fish. unlike the carp have in mid-west. the states here seems they can't think of anything other than use poison and build X number of gates, close the waterway into Lake Michigan.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts