Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,
I am in the process of looking for another surf rod and reel. I have been hearing an awful lot about these Alvey Reels from Australia. Does anyone have any feedback on these? The 650 A5 to be exact? I currently enjoy the equipment I have now Okuma, Penn, Shimano..etc. I just wanted to know if it is worth the expense to add one of these baby's to my arsenal of fishing poles!?

Thanks,
Litz
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've never used one but I know that they can cast really far. One of the series can hold 1000 yds. of 20 pound test. They are suppose to operate sort of like a spinning reel except for the retreive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I know that the guy who invented them holds the world record in casting. Something like 661 feet. The casting distance is one of the reasons why I am interested in one. However, I don't know what the user friendliness value is. Just curious. Thanks!

Litz :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
From the little bit I found out, I desided aginst getting one. I think the biggest problem will be customizing a rod to make it cast far. because the spool is so big around you would need very large eyes on the rod to make it work properly. You may need to do away with half of the eyes. In long distance casting they have fewer eyes on the rod to make less drag, but the fisherman needs more eyes to use each rod to its full potentual. I hope this helps you. :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beachbms,
Thanks for the input. I think that you are right. I will probably pass altogether on the Alvey reel. I really do not feel like customizing a rod for it. Thanks for the advice!

Litz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts