Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Alvey Reels

I tried Alvey Reels, but I was not able to cast as far as my Daiwa Emblem X 6000 T.

I experienced line slap while casting with the Alvey reel which hurt my distance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hey there playalinda, off the subject, but used to live in t-ville off of dairy rd in american village. how is the place these days? i'm sure it hasn't changed much. used to fish the pl beach and vetrens pier among other places. welcome to the board. hell, may even know you but this was back in the early 80"s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and hello

Thanks for the welcome longcaster. And thanks for the alvey info. Actually I was eyeballing the daiwa emblems too. I like the fat spool and it seems logical that the line would peel off better with a thinner spool lip.
Hello there uh...demonfish. What's with that name?
Titusville is great. Fishing is better than ever. Ever since they got rid of the commercial netters the fishing keeps getting better. We even have witnessed the return of a few species such as the sawfish and pompano.
I am familiar with American village and might perhaps know you. I went to Astro till 85.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Alvey reels

Welcome Playalinda. I checked out the Alvey a while back, and since I found that the casters using regular conventionals and spinners are casting 200 yds etc, decided to learn how to do it. The Alvey to my recollection requires a rod that is fitted for it also. Check out the casting clinic on this page, they can teach you to reach em with what you have...salt

·
Registered
904 Posts
Alvey

I am with you Demonfish, or at least control it within some sort of normalcy and try to eliminate the by catch slaughter...salt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
net ban and other improvements

The net ban was the best thing that ever happened here. The netters fought it and tried to say that it wouldn't make much difference blah blah blah. A mere two years after the ban the fishing was markedly better. It's way better now.
I had a friend who worked on one of the net boats. He told me of how they would kill all kinds of fish and illegally kill and keep fish. The damage they did was ridiculous.
You could get a net ban in your area if you get enough Anglers and environmentalists pushing.
It is definately for the best. But I think that when you take away someones livlyhood (the netters) there should be financial aid for them and some kind of job or free training for them to do some other kind of work. Can't just leave em out in the cold.
There are two other factors that have greatly helped our lagoons health/fishing. One is the building of and utilization of retention ponds. Instead of building a strip mall and having all the parking lot/roof water draing into the lagoon, it goes into a retention pond where it can seep into the land and not pollute the IRL with fertilizers, pesticides , and all the other crap in parking lot runoff.
The other great thing they did here in Titusville FL, was that we no longer pump partially treated sewage into the Indian river lagoon. It is now processed better in a new plant that pumps it into a series of retention ponds where it gets cleaned by freshwater plants and stuff.
Now the lagoon doesn't have that horrid stank to it and the "crap muck" is gone too.
So glad this area got smart and made these changes. Like I said, the fishing is better than ever. Now all we need is more no motor areas. Like from Haulover canal south. Too many flatsboats out there now and many of them don't give a darn about the grass flats. The worst and most irritating aspect of the flats boat/motorized vessel crew is thier complete and total disregard for non motorized craft (canoes, gheenoes, kayaks). They motor right up next to you if they see a bent rod. Or they will run the edge of the flats (run and bump) and ruin your session.

Done rambling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts