Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nice pics Ryan. Very clear description of the Albright.

Now if we can get an easy way to do the Bimini Twist that doesn't require 2 legs, 3 arms and a rod holder.... :p

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Nice pics Ryan. Very clear description of the Albright.

Now if we can get an easy way to do the Bimini Twist that doesn't require 2 legs, 3 arms and a rod holder.... :p
Well we have the poorman's bimini ... the spiderhitch :D . I know what you mean though.

Thanks for the descriptive pictorial! I may have to give that a try. I admit though I am real happy with the spider hitch to bristol combo I use.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I always thought the Albright was 10 wraps. I have been using an albright for the shock leader (with 10 wraps) to a bimini since the mid 90's and havent one break yet (that I know of).

·
Banned
2,501 Posts
Nice pics and description. Don't flame me for this question but:

Can you use this for braid? I am currently using a uni-uni, but my mono uni is waaaay too big, and am not happy with it. I tried using the albright, and my knots keep slipping. Is it me, or is the albright meant for mono of 2 different diameters? Thanks, and awesome post BTW.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hey FandC, use the knots supplied in the box for the braid. Once you join braid to mono, then dab a bit of superglue on the knot. That will hold if you've tied it correctly.

Also check out the search function for that very question of joing knots for braid and mono.

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not for braid, sorry

THe braid will dig into the mono and render it useless. You can try it and see for yourself though.
If I had to tie two pieces of braid together of unequal diameters it would work.
The albright is for tying two pieces of unequal diamter. In the photo I used 40 and 100 pound test for better visual.

Another good thing abou the albright is that if you tie it wrong, it will fail in your hands.
Once you get the wraps pulled tight, give tham a couple good snap/tugs in your hands, if its wrong, it will slip or break.

I also use these allot to tie flounder/trout/puppydrum rigs.
I jsut use the knot instead of a swivel, with a bead above the knot before the weight.
Another use Ive found is for drum rigs. Main line 17, shocker 40 (up to seven ounces), then bottom two to three feet of 80 with a sinker slide on it.

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reel quick though..

I just saw an eight second demo on youtube that depicts the improved albright. Everything on that is good except the ending. If you notice at the end the tag end doesnt go over the first part, they dont bind together. You will have a huge problem if that happens.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Braid...

I use this not for braid, tieing 4lb diameter braid to 30lb fluro. Usually works fine. Just do more wraps with the braid. Ryan your pics were great buddy. However I have seen a sea mullet break your knots!!!
HHAA

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yup, love this knot and mainly use it for reels with line level,,, it flies right threw it and no snags because it is so small and tapered.
Fast
Simple *lord knows I need that part*
Small
Strong

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
dude you got some crazy patience to put that together. i woulda used up a whole roll of scotch tape and every obscenity in my vocabulary before giving up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I

use it with braid tying to mono and it works great. I wrap about 10 times and it has never broken on me. Not to say it won't happen. Tight lines:beer: :beer: :fishing: :beer: :beer: :D

·
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dropped the "F" Bomb a time or three./.

dude you got some crazy patience to put that together. i woulda used up a whole roll of scotch tape and every obscenity in my vocabulary before giving up.
JEb, Seamullet? come on bro.
We all know that was the elusive world record
"Copperheadedspottedflyingmulletspot!",
of which mind you, I'm am still the exclusive "World champion record holder/only catcher",...of the "bearded red breasted beast"!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
when you trim the shocker tag end off... DO NOT trim it at an angle... with stiff mono it'll be like a knife under your thumb... I made a wind on shocker with an Albright up at Hatteras on New Years day... first cast of the morning on the point, I didn't watch what I was doing, that point of mono was right under thumb when I reared back and laid into the cast... that point opened my thumb up like a knife.. I jerked my thumb back, the Avet blew up, busted the shock leader off and left me with a terrible mess... and then having to straighten everything out and re-rig with a thumb bleeding like a stuck hog... terrible way to start the new year... :D oh well lesson learned, thumb healed, just waiting for the fishing to start up again... :fishing:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts