Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AI

Sent checks for the Brandon cause, brother called, and well I couldn't resist. Getting ready to turn in, up around two am and hopefully fishing by five am. Be home sometime Saturday morning, but other than wind speed and direction (NNW west always bad), looks like a great day tomorrow.

Good luck to Brandon, and PLO/SPSP challenge (where ever it is), remember, have fun.

Glad I got an ATM card from the CU, never know when you might want some extra $.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

East bound and down to AI. :cool:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Good luck man! Also to give you a heads I heard through the "grapevine" that the leading size for the AOM is over 40"! You know they are out there bigger than that, so go get em. I got faith in you man!:D

P.S. It looks like we are postponing the smackdown challenge until spring when the fishing is better.:( Hopefully then you will be able to attend. Heck maybe then it will be at AI:D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me, though I love the spirit of the December Angler of the month, don't have digital camera, so ain't going to get an award for a nice fish, heck at AI, a nice fish is anything other than a skate or small shark, but they beat getting skunked. AI is just something totally different to me, and even if I was lucky enough to catch my monster, wouldn't have pictures to prove it, only piece of mind and some major self satisfaction. The most difficult decision I would have if it were to happen, would be keeping it, might get the warm fuzzies, just kissing it on the lips and thanking her, and back to the ocean.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey Viking, you know you can a cell phone with a digital built in.:D :D Hope you have a successfull trip and stay warm.

Catman.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shaggy,
Whatever happens just do me this one favor... when you get back saturday morning lie your butt off if ya gotta but just tell me they are jumpin out the water waiting to be caught...that the only reason you left was your fingers and arms hurt to bad from reelin um in.... then sunday you can tell everyone the truth after i left already.... thanks !!!! um sure you understand..

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
LOL Jeff!:) I will tell you: they are jumpin out the water waiting to be caught...that the only reason he left was because his fingers and arms hurt to bad from reelin um in.... ;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't go there Catman, and the mobile is for the "boating community", I'm a Jeeper!:)

Jeff, no can lie, they weren't jumping out of the water waiting to be caught, heck, they were beaching themselves right at my cooler. :cool: Wasn't as fun just picking them up off the beach and putting on ice though.

Now for the rest of the story......

First, picture perfect day, sunny, bit of wind (from the wrong direction), evening cool but pleasant. Left the house at about (blah,blah)... stop at WaWa Cambridge gas (blah, blah)...drove around AI looking for (blah, blah).... couln't find but did find salted down three (blah, blah).....arrived at the air down station (blah,blah)....

Okay, sorry couldn't resist. Must have caught about thirty sharks ranging in size from 2 1/2' -3 1/2', six ling cod (can someone please tell me how to clean and cook the suckers, I hear they are good eating, though when I learn how, they won't end up on my hooks anymore). Three AI flounder, no blue no striper, but the shock of the trip for me was an...........18", honest to goodness flounder, must have just been a fluke (couldn't resist). A frickin' flounder from the beach of AI in Novemeber, with all the sharks and then the flounder, got a feeling the water is still a tad warm. If this keeps up (and the weather don't turn to major bitter cold, nor'east winds), we could be out still catching late December, early January easy.

Anyhow, thouroughly enjoyable.

Jeff, looks like you are in for some schweeeeeet weather. Good luck to you. Best bet on fresh bunker this weekend, Harbor Tackle or Akes.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Viking...Glad you got into them. I bet the flounder was a surprise. The ling are excellent eating. I just gut and scale them, cut off the head and tail, dip them in a little flour and egg and pan fry them. BTW, read a second hand report yesterday about a tug boat capt. who spoted vast schools of stripers off of AI. I guess they're where the bait fish are. Thanks for the report.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice! Did you keep that flounder shaggy?? Earlier this year they were getting a lot of reports of flounder there but it seemed to die off pretty quick. Them flounder were probably very hungry and got very aggressive and was taking your cut bait. I bet if you would of put a flounder rig on with the squid minnow combo you would have killed em. Like catman said glad you got into some fish. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I better go to the wal-mart and get me a bigger cooler :D ... plus um sittin here thinking one of those good plastic snow shovels we got up north here will work great to heave them big boys on ice!!! that way I won't smell so bad when i get home...although since I been surf fishing before deer season my luck has gotten better... um working on a new cover up scent for the woods....bunker #5 seems the deer are not scared of bunker or mullet ,so if ya sit in the woods smelling like one they just seem to walk right up to ya tryin to figure out what ya are... since eveyone knows it takes 2 weeks to get that stink off you... it works right through our rifle season... so i might need to grab a couple and rub um on my coat anyway ....

Nothing worse than sittin at work hours before a big fishin trip
:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts