Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on taking the father-in-law and the wife's uncle over to AI this coming Saturday. Staying at the uncles place in OC so the plan is to be there a touch before dawn and fish til they get bored. Anyhow, with this cooler weather we've been seeing - how SHOULD the fishing be? IE - what may be swimming around?

My thought is that it's a touch too early for the big stripers and a touch too late for the big drum. Will the chomper blues be hanging around and how bout the flounder?

Also, haven't fished there this late in the year - is there any point in bringing my kayak over? Usually we run some bait out over the breakers in the hope of picking up some toothy critters but will anything be around this late in the year? Well, anything other then some doggies.

And how is the bug situation? Last time I was over there was in early August and I think I passed out at one point from all the blood the squito's stole from me. LOL. The black flies were horrible to boot.

Been there a few times but never during the fall action. Just looking for any pointers from those with more experience this time of year.

Thanks.

Hannibal

Will be driving an silver 04 Ram 1500 with a rack on the back loaded up with various rods and maybe a yellow OK Big Game. Swing by and say hi. I am sure I will have a few beers I could share with you in exchange for your most up to date fishing report

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Look for the little rockpiles that are on some of the OC beaches, so long as they've been uncovered by erosion. Toss artificials around them at high tide in at first light ... high is around daybreak that weekend I believe ;)

AI/MD is occasionally producing drum still, but it's very hit or miss. I hear the kingfish are still around AI/MD. Lots of very small blues - whole mullet rigs and hopkins or other metal will take them ... 10 to 18 inches for the most part.

Stinky beach (Homer Gudelsky?) on the bayside of the inlet has been seeing lots of peanut bunker and blues chewing on them, but nothing of any decent size.

Good luck ... maybe some bigger blues will show up for you, or even some striped ones!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fishing from Cape Henlopen south towards AI from now until just after Halloween is what I'd call Forest Gump fishing, as you NEVER know what you are going to get.
I find myself bringing various sized rods from a mere stout 6 footer to blast some decent TOG to a real "Hatteras Heaver" for the Really big guys. And everything in between.
THIS IS THE EXACT TIME OF THE YEAR WHEN YOU NEED TO PATRONIZE REAL LOCAL BAIT AND TACKLE SHOPS to get the good advice for the where and how so you are not wasting your time money and efforts. There is always something to be taken from the suds. Also driving just 10 miles can be a HUGE difference in the various sizes of the same fish.
If you do drive on the sands make sure that you are 100% up to speed as the beaches can get lonely and there are not to many Harry Helpfuls should something go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts