Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got skate (six I believe), shark (four), red drum (one 13") and one striper, not a monster, but 28 3/4", and I am happy. But no blues, and I am still happy.:cool:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Alright Shaggy! Wish I could of made it out there with you but with all the vicodin I have been taking don't think it would be smart. Plus I have been spending time with my new girl :eek: Shhh! Don't tell anybody! :) Hat and I will probably head out there late Sat night or early Sun morning for a quick overnighter. Did you get those near the same spot we were before?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cdog, but when I think about last week, I had the pleasure to take a picture of a fisherman with two forty plus stripers around nine pm as I was leaving. Ahh but like I said, I am happy.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fourty +,:eek: yeah thats my next goal. Broke th 30" barrier last year. But like they say, good things come to those who wait. Or patience is a virture. Anyway th bigguns are coming. Good luck to ya. :)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm waiting, but happy, and it was a special moment to photograph them fishies.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Nice report. Wish I could have been there. When did you catch most of your fish? At night or during the day?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got down to AI about 7:00 am, and caught the striper at about 1:00. Beach and surf (breaking and foam , then the roll) in area looked nice, and tide was moving out. Be back there Thursday night Friday morning. Navy vs. Notre dame tomorrow, a couple more wins and the good old boys may be bowl bound.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Shaggy...

I think that all we really need to do is beat Central Michigan to get to the Fort Worth Bowl, and if we knock off the Irish & CMU then I see the San Francisco or Continental. Hell, I think we may even put up more points against Army this year than we did last year ;)

BTW, do you have tix at Annapolis? Beth, myself, and a couple of friends are at every home game.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use to have tickets, but with the Ravens season tickets, just next to impossible to get off Saturday and Sunday. Do pick one home game to hit every year though, got to get one college tailgate party in every year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Navy is the feature story on ESPN.com today. Man, times are changing...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Shaggy,

Congratulations on your great catch! I'm making the assumption that AI means Assateague Island. If so, do you enter it by going through Chincoteage, VA?

I was there (Chincoteague) about 2 weeks ago in the ORV area on the south side of the park. I caught a 14" black drum on finger mullet, on the beach in a line straight down from the old Coast Guard Station. It was about 7AM at low tide. A buddy and I were there for a couple of days. The locals were pretty down because the fishing had been very slow (at least from the piers and surf) since Isabell. I guess it has improved significantly based on your current report. Glad you were so successful especially since it's a pretty long ride (at least from Baltimore)!

What were you using for bait and how far did you have to cast? Also I was wondering if you would care to mention how you read the beach to pick your spot to fish. What kinds of things do you look for?

Thanks,
Blue Heron

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Blue Heron, we do our AI fishing from the MD side. They put a big fence up so you can't get to the VA side. Bunker is the bait of choice but fresh spot is good also. Spot heads are good for big drum too. To learn how to read the beach click here for a write up by sandflea. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
725 Posts
FL FISHERMAN,

Thanks for the best bait suggestion and the link to the article about reading the beach.

I have read that article. I had no idea it was written by sandflea. It was excellent! The next time I fish a beach I intend to bring it with me and scout the beach at low tide.
As for fishing Assateague Island on the MD side, I will look at the map to see how to get there.

Blue Heron

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reading the beach, a couple of links:

www.stripersurf.com/scast101_1.html

www.stripersurf.com/scast101_2.html

www.stripersurf.com/scast101_3.html

"Gil" fishes AI quite frequently, very knowledgable guy. Often reread his articles for refresher.

Also, "big fence" is there to keep the Maryland ponies and Virginia ponies seperated.

Still think a couple of weeks away for the real action, and a few degrees cooler as far as water temps go. The stripers and blues are coming our way, only question is when will they arrive?

Have Jeep will travel.:D

Oh yeah, halftime Navy down, come on boys GO NAVY!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, links don't work, so copy and paste the address.

Sorry.

Navy driving.

Have Jeep will travel.:D

·
Registered
725 Posts
shaggy,
Thanks for the 3 links. I scanned the first one and it looked very interesting. Don't have time now to read them thoroughly but look forward to doing so tomorrow.
Blue Heron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts