Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can purchase a daily permit to the ORV area.

If so how much?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
No daily ORV permits, only (at least as far as I have been told), $70 annual permit, plus the $20 seasonal pass. Still, as far as I am concerned $90 is a bargain.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Orest,

As I do not have a 4X4, I will get the seasonal pass for $20 and fish in the South Parking lot area. Cheap price for all the enjoyment that I get each year fishing there.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron and Shaggy thanks for the informastion.

The wife has a 4x4 Jimmy, I was wonderring if I could borrow her 4x4 once in awhile and just buy a daily permit to fish the ORV area. My truck is just 2 wheel drive.

Next time I go to AI am buying the pass. I wish the Bay Bridge had a similar program, all their passes are for months at a time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Borrow Wife's Truck

Orest,
My wife lets me borrow her truck all the time! It must be because I take her first born fishing all of the time..LOL...;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Hey Orest,

Couple of ways of looking at it. First the $70 (like I said, to me a bargain as I can and do get out at least two to four times a month, sometimes more, during the season), but if you break it down to the "good" months, March through May (sometimes early June, before bugs and tourists), so at least three months, then fall with September through December, another four months, it only breaks down at one trip a month to $10 bucks a trip (a movie or a couple of Mickey D's drive through meals a month) add an extra trip in a few of the months, early trips to "read the beach", and the occasional trips to alleaviate the withdrawal symptons, and to me it is not only an "entertainment value", but one of lifes simple pleasures.

Another way to look at it, wait around the south lot for one of us with a beach permit, and we'd be more than willing to give you a lift to the "promised land". After a few of those, the boss' 4x4 will end up with that ORV sticker. Just remember (especially in the warmer months) to find all unused bait, winter not bad until temps warm and you start smelling last year's bunker, and thinking, drugs or withdrawal, until you find December's bunker in April, and realize.

Disclosure statement, I am not paid by AI or compensated in any way financially, but as all know, I do get the "warm and fuzzies" there, even at temps in the 30's, a good nor'east and if the gods throw some sleet my way, so be it. I'm definately a fisherman (and someone who feels the need to get away from civilization), and even though I don't always get the pleasure of being a "catcherman", those here know how I feel about my "home away from home". Give it a try one year, and twenty percent of those out there may be as sick as me, and learn to love the cold, the wind, the solitude, the peace, the beach, and probably 80% will end up with that sticker.

Okay, I'm done, carry on.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I would love the ORV area; but with wife working most weekends (Real Estate Agent) and sometimes showing property on some back county road, she would need her 4x4. I will ask her about it.

I would like to go this weekend, but got to take the daughter back to college on Sunday and Saturday will be spent taking down the Xmas decoration. Like to keep them up until after the Eastern Orthodox Christmas, Jan. 07 am Ukrainian.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If not mistaken, and correct me if I am, but I think we use to call that one "little Christmas". Know all about weekends being married to a RE agent, the things us guys have to "suffer". Personally though, I prefer weekdays out on AI less people, and fortunately in my business weedays off are pretty easy to get.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little Christmas

I can't say I ever heard of it referred to as Little Christmas.

Real Estate Agent

Can really complain, she bought my truck for me and she really loves it and she is pretty good at it. As long she is happy.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
To us PRCs, Epiphany. Been a long time, and forget most of the details, but I think it was around the first week af January, which meant trips to Baltimore to visit the grand parents and great grand folks, and less time playing with the new Christmas toys.

Anyhow enoguh of that back to fishing and 4x4s.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So shaggy once you get onto the sand how far down the beach do you go past the exit and I know you have to watch the waves as they are coming in to find out where the holes are and so fourth,right.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Most of the time, I'll drive straight to the Virginia fence line, while keeping an eye on the surf. See something I like, zero out the trip odometer and find a post marker, write it down for the trip back north. Sometimes there are two or three that look really nice, some times more and sometimes, it's looking back at previous years log and seeing I had some luck here, nothing is obvious and give it a shot. Waves and water is a big part, but watch for birds also, they are better at finding the fish than I am.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So when you exit onto the beach how far is the VA. fence from there,I'm trying to get an idea on where to go. I haven't fished that far down,maybe a few miles from the entrence to the beach,it's been awhile. Maybe one day I can follow in your foot steps and become a "SEMI-PRO" like you and your brother.lol

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Trigger the Va line is about 13 miles down the beach.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Not trying to give away spots but you are right I find that the striper fishing is actually better within the first 8 miles of the beach. As you get closer to the Va line the beach becomes more flat and there is a lot of rip rap and sandbars instead of a more defined slough and single sandbar. That is why I believe it is a better area for drum. Hope this brings back memories!:) See ya on the water!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts