Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big schools of kingfish are biting in the surf at AI in both MD and VA. Just back from 10 day vacation and best kingfish conditions I can remember. Caught supper several times, and that's including throwing back most under 12-in. I had most luck by far on bloodworms, although good ones are hard to find. Some guys reported catching with shrimp or squid, but bloods worked best for me.

One warning, the bugs are really bad, especially in MD. Big horseflies and black flies -- can ruin a day in a hurry.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Next time you're down there, try sandfleas. Whiting suck them down like candy, and they're free.

I know all you Assateague guys are hoping for a good easterly wind to keep those flies and mosquitoes at bay. I won't even brave Assateague this time of year with all the bugs. :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Sand Flea. Are Whiting and Kingfish the same thing? I know they call them Sea Mullet down at OBX.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Yup. Same thing. I just don't call them kingfish because it confuses southern anglers with king mackerel, which are also known as kingfish down there.

They're also known as roundhead in some areas, to further confuse things.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sand Flea. Whatever they're called, they fight good and eat good, which makes 'em fun to catch in my book.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sandcrab, yes I was trying to catch sharks but with no success. I had the 8-ft rod rigged with bloodworms cast just beyond the breakers for kingfish, etc. and the 10-ft rod rigged with squid cast as far as possible in all tides for sharks. The short rod had all the action. Crabs barely touched the squid, and I had three big rays hook up on the short rod. Saw a few people catch sharks on squid, but they were very, very small.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you stay at AI the whole 10 days. I have reservations to camp there next August for 14 days. If you camped I would love your comments.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Hey PJDSR.

if Jeep is done, heading out to AI Thursday morning early. Couple of questions for you. What were the bug and non-fisherman populations like? Holiday weekend coming, so I'm hoping Thursday might be mellow (tourist wise, doubting the bugs care).

What were you using as "shark" bait. Any word on other species being caught. Figuring on heading out with fresh bunker (look out Kool Ice), maybe some bloods. Never tried peeler out there, but may pick up a few and this will be the earliest I actively fish AI, usually a seek-and-find scouting report.

Seems like high tide should be about 9:30 am, and figuring on leaving the Island (Kent Island sorry) about 5:30am. so should have lines in the water by 8:30ish.

Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shaggy, bugs were bad, real bad. Black flies and green-headed horseflies. Bug spray a definite must. Hopefully for your sake the wind will shift because if it's blowing out of the west, you're gonna donate some blood.

I was fishing bloodworms for the Whiting (Kingfish) and squid for shark or anything else edible. Also tried shrimp without much luck. Caught a couple puffers, which are surpringly good eating. Bunker should be a good bait.

Good luck! Be sure to post your report when you get back.

PJDSR

·
Registered
961 Posts
Has anyone had any luck live lining spot or perch out there. I know its sometimes hard to cast out far enough with live bait, but still wondering. last year we caught a bunch of spot in the costal bay and brought them across to the coast. We didn't have any luck, but we havent had much luck at AI anyway.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Usually winds aren't condusive to tossing out a live one (never tried, but sometimes it's hard to throw a cut bunker). Seemed every trip last fall through the spring the surf greeted us with nor'east wind from 12 - 20. I'd guess with a nice wind coming from your back (a rarity) you might be able to get some distance though.

Come on Thursday.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Allright, here is my Thursday experience in the far eastern side of MD (and Del.). Wind prediction looked good for yesterday, NE 5-8, but alas, when we arrived about 8am no wind, NONE. Deflating the tires was an open invitation to the black fly population of AI, saying here we are, plenty for all to eat.

The good news is that there were no green monsters to deal with, the bad news is there were too many black ones to suffer through. Runes and I lasted about 2 - 2 1/2 hours and caught two whiting. On the way off the beach, saw about 10 -12 natives (ponies, for the newbies of AI) and figure about 5 were taking a swim to get away from the black nasy flies (but hell what a sight, only seen it once since going there and BTW where's my pictures runes, I'm impatient?).

On up to 3R (good idea BP) guess we arrived around 11ish plus or minus (more plus, but I don't wear, much less own a watch), less flies, but had to walk the gear down (too old for that, thinking about a Delaware beach permit, I'm gonna miss my wife once she finds out). Tried everything in the cooler, peeler, bloods, clams and bunker (okay, forgot about the squid I had, and still can't find), but tried it all. One whiting there, a 6" bluefish (tried livelining it, but one bite and it was history, yet a decent hit, dang fish tails, but I gots witnesses that I don't know) they (marine animals) were out there. Felt the tides a changing. Caught some nice sandies, figure the two biggest were 4' - 4 1/2', and one gave me quite a nice battle (an exhileration that gave me the "this is why I put up with flies, wind noreasters in the winter with rain" feeling). Of course, we got the skate, and both got some shark, and all in all I had a most enjoyable time.

Darkness a coming so we was a heading out (to IRI) dang what a flow that openings got. Quick current (not to mention about three hours sleep the night before had me "fished out". BP got a couple of big, ugly, well hell eels. To big for livelining, and I ain't got the stomach for eating, throwbacks. Seems alot were using artificials for stripers blues and trout (guess fishermen and fisherwomen are the optomists) and minnows for flounder but by 11pm I hadn't seen anything except those snakes of the sea.

Happy, if you are out there, what should I get for my tackle box artificially speaking, for the cleanup?

Anyhow, the whole conclusion to my story happens to be (a lesson I have learned before, but obviously to me) stay away from AI until late September early October (but after the bug thing it makes cold temps, noreast winds and rain "almost comfortable"). Come on November, December through onto March and April, I shall not feel as uncomfortable (though I may bitch) in your wintery ways as I did in your dog days of the "Black Fly".

Adios, mi amigos e amigas!

:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I know theres some fast curent in there;The lures I like to use are 1/4-1/2oz white bucktails with 3-4"white grubs.Wildeye Shads are good too;your going to have to put 1 1/2-2oz trolling sinkers ahead of them to get them down in the current.Cast ahead of the current and jig as your using it to drift.I use about the same method as Kent Narrows,but I use weight to get the lures down.You can also fish the bottom for Tog with 2-5oz of lead using 1-2/0 beak hooks.The north and south pockets are the only places with almost no current;you can fish for Flounder with a Carolina type rig with1/8-1oz sinkers with minnow and squid over there.You can also drift bait in the faster currents with 1 1/2-4ozes of lead for Stripers and SeaTrout.I'll or someone else will probily show you how to work the Inlet.Like Kent Narrows but bigger and faster;lots of snags too.If you go to the end of the jetty be sure to wear Korkers,or Golf Shoes with metal spikes so you won't slip.;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Thanks Happy, words of wisdom, but, without some kind of uncomfortable PFD, and with that water flow, I ain't hitting no rocks with or without proper footwear.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah me too! I thik I will be fishing from the walkway with some live mullet and some jigs. That is unless everyone is sleighing em out there on the jetties.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
PFD could be worn too especally if your fishing near the end at 3am,but if you get the footwear pescribed above you shoulb be in good shape and travel light,especally on high tide.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Flfisherman, (you may be game for and AI expidetion mid to late September) and I forget but it was either AERRO or mastercaster, October or November or wait until February March (only idiots like me, my brothers and other who have experienced before want the December - January tour.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey shaggy I am game for anytime my friend. I was out there fishing in the freezing weather last year so I think I will be able to hold up in the winter months too. You might want to get me out there a time or two before so I know the ropes though. I will be in VA beach the weekend of the 20th and the choptank cleanup is the next week and IRI cleanup following week after. Hmm sounds like I am gonna be fishing every weekend this fall!:D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
No, no FL, not weekends, usually try to take off Wed/Thurs, or Thurs/Fri. Like to try and leave Kent Isand between 4:30 and 5:00 a, first day and leave AI by about 3:00 - 5:00 pm the following day (unless tides and fishing dictate otherwise). Lots of catnaps (10 - 15 minutes), and a good one on the last day (one eye open, or buddy system, I sleep you stay awake and make sure you get me up before the rabgers come). Actively fishing only.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts