Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished AI today from 8am to 4pm in the OSV area. I had a semi skunk I guess. High tide was at 648am. Winds were about 10-12 mph from the west. I guess that was the big problem. Most people told me that those winds are not favorable but I figured I would learn my own lesson. Water was pretty clear and not rough. I was holding bottom with 4-5 oz. Once I got there I started plugging since it was still semi dawn and had a hookup on a tandom rig (sting silver at the bottom and a small white buck tale on top) with a small blue ~ 12-14" but he came undone in the wash. The blue hit the buck tale. I thought this was a great sign so I got excited. I gave up after about 30 more minutes of that with a sore wrist. Never had another hook up. So I proceed to soak bait after that. Around noon I hooked up with a skate. Then maybe an hour later I had another hook up with a blue on a fireball rig which came unbuttoned as well, figures :(. The blue hit on bunker chucks. That was it. No more after that. I kept having my bait stolen but I saw no distinct bites. I'm guessing the crabs are out in force.

Baits I used:
Bunker
Frozen Clam
Frozen Peeler
Salted Blue
Salted Spot

So I was pretty prepared and tried everything out. I would say that the spot got stolen the quickest.

Oh well I had fun. The day was generally great. It was cold but nothing alot of layers couldn't handle. It was the last time I could fish this year with my OSV pass since mine expires at the end of the month. Kinda sucks to have it expire on a bad note but I will definitely be back come next spring.

Anyone else have better luck? I heard a few P&S guys were there on the same day. Shaggy how did ya do? I would have called ya if I had any luck but I guess I didn't want to be a Debby downer :D.

·
Registered
73 Posts
what kind of rod setup are you guys using for casting lures in the surf and what type of setups, what type of plugs. thanks. I am also a bait soaker by nature but am looking for advice for new type of fishing while bait soaks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using an 8' hand me down rod teamed up with a penn craptiva. Ive been meaning to get a better set up but since I'm mainly a bait soaker too i havn't put much emphasis on it. I tend to just throw tandem rigs. Mainly dual buck tails or some times I put a sting silver on the bottom. I have the most success when the top lure is much smaller than the bottom. I bought a few top water plugs but I havn't had the chance to use them yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts