Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking my dad down to MB for some fishing after Thanksgiving. What would be biting at Apache and what bait would work best. I took him down over the summer and we killed pinfish and he had a blast with a 6 foot shark trying to eat almost every fish he pulled up. So, since I have him hooked it doesn't matter what we catch...me personally though, I'd like to catch some flounder or trout. Any advice would be greatly beneficial even if we catch nothing but trashfish.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could expect weakfish, whiting, possibly trout and maybe even some drum. I use cut mullet on bottom rig. Works well for all the above species. Also if you have some mirrolures give them a toss. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Cut mullet/whatever is around like croaker, pinfish, whatever, is good if you want to bottom fish, if you want to throw lures, get you some 1/4 oz jigheads with DOA CAL Series Shad Tail baits and some Saltwater Assassin Paddle Tail baits and go after 'em. Everything Jawbonez mentioned will hit the plastics as well (except maybe the whiting, but I've caught them on bucktails tipped with shrimp).

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
if ur fishing form the pier and the wind picks up, casting anything other than a got-cha plug is useless. whiting do hit lures, the largest whiting have ever seen was caught on spanish mackerel rig. i would stick to cut bait like shrimp or mulelt on the bottom. lures would probably be effective from the beach though by casting at the edges of sand bars.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
if ur fishing form the pier and the wind picks up, casting anything other than a got-cha plug is useless.
Oh, I missed that he was going to Apache. What I said is more from the surf/jetties. But you can still pick up some trout around the piers dropping down near the pylons depending on the current and whatnot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Apache wouldn't be my best option, give me somewhere that would. I'm open to anywhere that's easily accessible. I used to fish the waterway down from Cherry Grove, but haven't been there in years. We used to kill flounder back there. I don't even know if I remember how to get back there. :confused::)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Oh, I missed that he was going to Apache. What I said is more from the surf/jetties. But you can still pick up some trout around the piers dropping down near the pylons depending on the current and whatnot.
personally i have still to see someone catch a winter trout(not weakfish) from a pier but heard stories about fishing for specks from second avenue pier on mirrolures in december.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Me and my dad were down in November a few years ago on 2nd Avenue and along with everyone else caught a bunch over a few days on cut mullet on 2 hook bottom rigs. Not the biggest, 12"-16" but they ate fine. The size limit was 12" back then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We caught 2 inch pinfish and one whiting about 4 inches. That's it. We fished Cherry Grove and the Intercoastal Waterway from the bank. So, we got skunked. I just got to my sister's house in Greensboro and I'm beat. I can't wait until spring!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts